Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Document

Hello
    Is this original document? If so, what about ss stamp and signature on29.05.1945??
    Regards,
    Michael
    Attached Files

It's unquestionably an unusual document, given the date of the official surrender of Nazi Germany on May 7/8, 1945. The document appears to be a receipt and my translation of it is:

On May 28, 1945 SS-Hauptscharführer --?-- , who was born on December 5, 1906 in Neumünster, Schleswig-Holstein, surrendered his wallet containing his Wehrpass and Pay Book seals at the discharge camp.

But the signature of an SS-Sturmbannführer apparently still holding an official position as a camp commandant of any kind, more than three weeks after the war ended and almost a week after the Dönitz Government capitulated (on May 23, 1945), seems to try the imagination! Is there any provenance with this document?

Br. James

Comment

The signature could be that of SS-Sturmbannführer Walter Kasten. He was attached to the Staff of SS-Abschnitt III and I can make out a III in the ink stamp, but I am not sure that refers to Abschnitt III which was based in Berlin.
      It's not unusual for a document dated in the immediate aftermath of war to be signed by a German officer as camp commandant. The camp was probably a dispersal and discharge centre where the local Allied control used German officers to maintain discipline and administer on their behalf. He wouldn't have lasted long in the position because SS officers were subject to immediate arrest by the occupying authorities.
      Max.

Comment

The document came in a group of POW papers - here is another two
        Does it make it legitimate ?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Michael73; 11-18-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X