Lakeside Trader - 2nd Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Opinions on Hitler Postcard on Estand - Help with Message Author?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Opinions on Hitler Postcard on Estand - Help with Message Author?

I obtained this postcard from the son of WWII Vet (and collector) some time ago.

I have had thrown back and humbly admit I never bothered to translate the Sutterlin writing. A friend quickly PM'd me and advised to post the card and ask for opinions with regard to the handwriting. I suspended my sale until after posting here.

Here is the link. It is Number 5 and the close-up photos of the writing are at the bottom of the post:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=554550

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

,it looks very like himmlers hand, im not positive ofcourse, but the Ms and cetainly the last word ending with R looks like the last letter of himmlers signiture,if its not him, it looks very close, to me.

Comment

"Lieber Egon, Nun habe ich schon wieder eine Karte von Dir und habe noch nicht geantwortet. Wie Du schreibst bekommt ihr am 11. Ferien. Du kannst ja am Sonntag schon kommen. Wenn du in Arnstadt bist rufe 2209 an, damit ich dich hole. Grusse von Walter."

The handwriting looks more drawn than written and is not entirely typical of the appearance of period handwriting. However, the stamps look convincing, and the fact is that there is nothing about the handwriting that makes me sure this couldn't be real period work. Perhaps the person sending it was a young person or just someone who was not accustomed to writing. Would it make sense for someone to fake such a boring message, does the fact that the card was postally used add so much to the value that it would make sense to add a spurious note to the back of what looks like an original card? Or what is the concern here?

Comment

Originally posted by PHILBROWN View Post
        ,it looks very like himmlers hand, im not positive ofcourse, but the Ms and cetainly the last word ending with R looks like the last letter of himmlers signiture,if its not him, it looks very close, to me.
        Oh, I get it now... This posted while I was typing the translation. Nope, not Himmler. Just some unknown Walter writing in Suetterlin script.

Comment

Phil PM'd me of the similarities and as I said I was oblivious to the Sutterlin.

The mere fact that he advised me says more about his quality of character that I can express. We only know each other through WAF and yet he was concerned enough to give me heads up.

How many of us would have simply bought and had the score of the year had it been the real deal. He did not.

Thanks Phil you are a good friend
          Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X