Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Das Reich' maps of Northern France

Gentlemen,

I am a fan of military maps and pick them up whereever I find them. Sometimes they are to be found in second-hand book stores, so in a non-militaria-related place. These 8 German military maps of Northern France I found on the Brussels flea market some years ago. The seller, an Arab guy, never opened them otherwise he would have noticed the 'parrot'. I stuffed them away in a box, but now I want to show them to others. I always wondered about the stamps on the maps. Brightly coloured in a kind of violet, some are very crisp and readable. They read 'Waffen-SS/SS-Panzerabteilung 2 Das Reich'. Could these be original markings?

Thanks for looking,

Lucius

Gentlemen,

can any of the experts in unit stamps and markings share his opinion on these maps? Were maps unit marked at all?

Thanks,

Lucius

Comment

I cant see any fotos?

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
        I cant see any fotos?
        I don't understand. For me they are perfectly visible, but I received PM's about items on e-stand too that didn't have any pictures, although I definately posted them. Perhaps I'm posting the wrong way. I open WAF two times, then copy the BB code from 'the first' WAF to the new thread in the 'other' WAF where I paste them. Is there another way?
        Or do the moderators delete pictures randoml? I don't believe this.

L

Comment

Originally posted by Luciusdegeer View Post
          I don't understand. For me they are perfectly visible, but I received PM's about items on e-stand too that didn't have any pictures, although I definately posted them. Perhaps I'm posting the wrong way. I open WAF two times, then copy the BB code from 'the first' WAF to the new thread in the 'other' WAF where I paste them. Is there another way?

L
          When I try to reply with a quote, I see you have posted IMG, but they are not visible at all...

Comment

It's complicated. Can a moderator help?
            Meanwhile, what do you think about the stamps?

L

Comment

I wouldn't trust those stamps an inch
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Seems that the pictures are visible after all...
                It was not quiet the answer I expected from a moderator... but okay.
                Any other opinions? I want to point out following facts:
                1) I found them in a totally non-militaria related environment.
                2) The price I paid was very low
                3) The colour of the stamps reminds me of the violet ink used in Soldbücher
                4) Question is: were maps unit marked? I know that the Belgian army did this in the 1930's, I believe I even saw British maps with regimental markings. But did the Waffen-SS the same?

I value every opinion, but please explain why you give the the thumbsdown (or the opposite).

L

Comment

L

you just upload the pictures directly to the thread, using 'manage attachments'
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Seems that the pictures are visible after all...
                    It was not quiet the answer I expected from a moderator... but okay.
                    Any other opinions? I want to point out following facts:
                    1) I found them in a totally non-militaria related environment.
                    2) The price I paid was very low
                    3) The colour of the stamps reminds me of the violet ink used in Soldbücher
                    4) Question is: were maps unit marked? I know that the Belgian army did this in the 1930's, I believe I even saw British maps with regimental markings. But did the Waffen-SS the same?

I value every opinion, but please explain why you give the the thumbsdown (or the opposite).

L

I've seen a lot of maps, both blank unused ones and marked up ones from archives. Even the marked up ones don't have stamps like this on them, units written or printed for sure but not unused maps with a unit stamp on it. Why would anyone want to bother doing it? Stamping them is also a security risk if you think about it, so not particularly clever.

Another way of looking at it would be, out of the hundreds if not thousands of units connected to northern France, how ironic that the ones to be stamped just happen to be to a 'sexy' attractive (to collectors) unit.

Sorry but it stinks of BS.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X