Feldherrnhalle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feldherrnhalle

Anyone care to post their Feldherrnhalle pictures?

They all had to salute the place during the Third Reich.

Even civvies just walking past had to salute......
    Attached Files

Comment

Guarded day and night by the SS.........there was no scope for vandalism here!
      Attached Files

Comment

The back of the Martyrs' Monument was decorated with the motto of the Blood Order - 'Und Ihr Habt Doch Gesiegt!'......
        Attached Files

Comment

And it was the centre of many spectacular ceremonies.

Comment

Even today, the Feldherrnhalle is an impressive building and always seem to have a certain 'aura' about it ............as if it's saying............."I have seen history being made."

Of course, the monument dates back to the 19th Century, but the Nazis made it their own.

I just wonder how many of these passers-by know the story behind it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden
              Even today, the Feldherrnhalle is an impressive building and always seem to have a certain 'aura' about it ............as if it's saying............."I have seen history being made."

Of course, the monument dates back to the 19th Century, but the Nazis made it their own.

They would most definately know the stroy behind it. But they would rather forget the Nazi era period. That building was the in the centre of the rally when Hilter became Chancellor in 1933 if I'm not mistaken?

Thanks for sharing Robin,

Comment

Nice pics!

BTW, you don't mean FHH units, only the FHH itself, Robin? If FHH units interest you, you may like http://www.history.jp/images/FHH.jpg.

Comment

Even today, the Feldherrnhalle is an impressive building and always seem to have a certain 'aura' about it ........

At least a few do, on some days! I was standing there on November 9, 1997 at about 1 in the afternoon, and there was an elderly gentleman walking back and forth and looking with more than just casual interest at the side where the monument was. I wouldn't attach any "Nazi" label to him or anything like that, but it was pretty obvious that he knew what had happened there 74 years previously.

Regards,
                  Greg
                  sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                  www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Robin,

You've posted some nice pictures.

Is the ceremonial one a postcard? If so, doyou know the artists name.

Here are two pictures of my own:

Pic 1

And it was the centre of many spectacular ceremonies.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 2
                      Attached Files

Comment

Posted as image number 5 in this thread is the painting of the 9 November ceremony by Paul Hermann. This image was published by Heinrich Hoffmann in his postcard series entitled 'München, Haus der Deutschen Kunst.'

The card number is HDK 158.

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi
                          Nice pics!

BTW, you don't mean FHH units, only the FHH itself, Robin? If FHH units interest you, you may like http://www.history.jp/images/FHH.jpg.
                          Nice picture!

Comment

It's interesting that the Feldherrnhalle was built in stages during the 19th Century. The figure at the back (Franco-Prussian War) and the two lions were added later. The lion facing the Threatinerkirche has a 'smile' on its face, while the lion facing the royal palace has a 'frown'. This was deliberately done due to the 'political/religious' persuasion of the architect. The Nazi Martyrs' Monument was the last addition in 1934, and was destroyed by the Allies at the end of the war, leaving the rest of the Feldherrnhalle intact. There is still a plaque where the Mahnmal was which commemorates the three police officers killed during the Putsch.

Comment

Ramon,

Many thanks for this information!

This is exactly what I was after - right down to the HDK number.

Kevin

Originally posted by ramon
                              Posted as image number 5 in this thread is the painting of the 9 November ceremony by Paul Hermann. This image was published by Heinrich Hoffmann in his postcard series entitled 'München, Haus der Deutschen Kunst.'

The card number is HDK 158.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X