Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ek2-doc Panzerjäger, Ardennes Offensive

hey,

just wanted to show you my latest purchase, ek2-doc for a member of panzerjägerabteilung 33. this unit was part of 15. panzergrenadier-division which saw heavy action during the battle of bastogne. the document is dated 11th of january 1945, about two weeks after bastogne, but i guess the soldier earned his ek2 in this area (or at leat for fighting in the ardennes).

interesting fact: panzerjägerabteilung 33 was completely equiped with jagdpanzer IV l/48 when it saw action in ardennes!

best regards,

matthias
    Attached Files

Nice addition. Signed by Oberst Wolfgang Maucke (DKiG in May 1944 & RK in February 1945).

Comment

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
      Nice addition. Signed by Oberst Wolfgang Maucke (DKiG in May 1944 & RK in February 1945).

thank you! could not read the signature so far...

but maucke was commander of panzergrenadier-regiment 115, why did he sign it and not the commander of panzerjägerabteilung 33??

Comment

Originally posted by matthias_AC View Post
        but maucke was commander of panzergrenadier-regiment 115, why did he sign it and not the commander of panzerjägerabteilung 33??
        Hello Mathias,

Looks like a really nice document.

I don't think you would ever have an abteilung commander (Hauptmann or Major) signing a document for the Iron Cross. Even regimental commanders (Oberst) did not typically sign Iron Cross documents. Iron Cross documents went through divisional commands and were therefore signed by General Grade Officers, unless an Oberst just happened to be acting leader of the division. In this particular case, though, the eagle ink stamp is of the 15. Panzergrenadier Division (which is proper) and a regimental commander within the division (Oberst Maucke) signed "in Vertretung" (as representative of) the divisional commander.

Best regards,
        Tom
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
          Hello Mathias,

Looks like a really nice document.

I don't think you would ever have an abteilung commander (Hauptmann or Major) signing a document for the Iron Cross. Even regimental commanders (Oberst) did not typically sign Iron Cross documents. Iron Cross documents went through divisional commands and were therefore signed by General Grade Officers, unless an Oberst just happened to be acting leader of the division. In this particular case, though, the eagle ink stamp is of the 15. Panzergrenadier Division (which is proper) and a regimental commander within the division (Oberst Maucke) signed "in Vertretung" (as representative of) the divisional commander.

Best regards,
          Tom

hi tom,

that sounds coherent! i did not reflect about "in vertretung" (although i know what it means)... thank you, tom!

best regards,

matthias

Comment

According to The Wehrmacht At War 1939-45 by Andris J Kursietis & also here...
            http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=1331
            ...Oberst Wolfgang Maucke took over command of the division on Januray 28th 1945 so he may well of been in the Divisional HQ prior to his official appointment date and so was able to sign this citation.
            Lexikon der Wehrmacht does not mention him and has Eberhard Rodt instead but the Axis Biographical Research site and Wolfgang Keilig's General's book doesn't list Rodt as being in command after he was replaced by Baade in October 1943.

Comment

Great document!!

I wonder if Maucke was just filling in between Deckert and Rodt and the info on the Lexicon is the more accurate. I have an EK2 doc dated April 25, 1945 signed by Rodt as division commander of 15 Pz Gren Division.

Comment

Here's another late war doc with Rodt as commander of 15 Panzer Grenadier Division...
                https://www.weitze.net/detail/89/Urk...n__167889.html

Interesting group, actually. He won his EK2 in November, 1939 and won his EK1 on May 1, 1945. He also was awarded both KVK classes on the same day, April 20, 1942.
                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X