Lost Hitler Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Hitler Head

My late father, who served in the 9th AAF, used to occasionally talk to other veteran friends about a Hitler bust that was stolen from him along with a bag full of coins while he was at a train station in France or Belgium at the end of WWII. I found this photo while cleaning out a drawer at my mother's house, of him(on the left) and a buddy carrying what I believe was the bust he talked about.
    Attached Files

That is a shame, it amazes you when you think of the size of object/memorabilia some soldiers tried to take back home..thanks for posting..
    does anyone here have knowledge of what some did try to get back...

Comment

My dad was in the Navy, Shore Patrol on a remote island in the Phillipines. He brought back his Thompson in his duffel bag. When they entered San Francisco bay, a general inspection was called.
      The fantail of the ship was crowded with sailors tossing all sorts of items overboard. Dad's tommy gun now rests on the bottom of the bay. He was heart broken, especially since there was no inspection. Just a ruse to get all weapons off the ship.

Comment

My father ran into a similar situation with guns. He had a luger rig, a p38 rig, and a 45. They were siezed when he was at Fort Dix being discharged. He did manage to keep a Mauser 25 caliber pocket pistol. I have another photo of him and a few of his buddies sporting Luft officer visors and Luft armbands. I never saw the actual visor or armband so I assume that he gave them away after he came back from Europe. I had a conversation a few years back with a US Marine vet who was on Kwajaleen. He said that after the War ended, he helped dump cases of brand new 1903 Springfields in the ocean.They weren't allowed to take them as a souveneer. I suppose a lot of stuff was gotten rid of that way by the military once the war ended. I'll look for the picture of the Luft hats and post it. Thanks for your replys.

Comment

I wish I had that in my collection!!

Comment

Here is the photo of my father and buddies with the Luft hats and armbands. He was with the 366th Fighter group. They occupied a former German airfield in Belgium. The German probaly left these things behind.Photo is a bit fuzzy.
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X