Help with photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with photos

I wanted to post two photos labled "Biala Terkov Sep 41". I can't find the location on a map or by doing a word search, so not really sure where to start researching. I was wondering if anyone out there could give a bit of history about the event in the photos. It is two of several in this series contained in a photo album. Thank you.
    Attached Files

The second image

The second picture
    Attached Files

Comment

Well.... If it were "Bialy" it would be Polish, but the date is all wrong.

Maybe the Germans were hungry and attacked Terkov's Bialy bakery!
      -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Appears to be a BIG Soviet airfield in White Russia overrun by ground (in September!!!) forces--note the biplanes parked in front of the hangars. Blurry, but I'd say those are Soviet soldiers coming in to surrender in the second shot.

"Bialy-" certainly seems to place this as someplace in eastern Poland/White Russia, up in that general "Baltic" area on the way to Leningrad.

If the rest of the album has chronological place names labelled, or you know the German unit the photographer was in, that will enable placing the general region these are from.

Comment

The man in the center seems to be wounded
          -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Thanks All

I wanted to thank Rick and Ralph. I went back and played with the spelling of the location and found out it is Belaya Tserkov. I knew the album's owner was in Kampfgruppe z.b.V 9 so I should have looked up their basing before I posted last night. I've since learned they operated from the base through Oct 41. They were raided by the Red Air Force on 30 Aug (the unit had four wounded in this raid). So these must be pictures from the raid. Not as exciting as I first thought. It does beg the question of who's biplanes are those in the airfield (Russian leftovers or German) and also if those are Russian POWs were they doing labour for the Germans at this field? I'll add another one of the photos from the series. Maybe the aircraft are a little clearer in this image. Again thanks guys.
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X