Help with Iron Cross 1st Class document to 44th ReichsGrenadier Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Iron Cross 1st Class document to 44th ReichsGrenadier Division

I’m trying to find out anything I can about the person in this Iron Cross 1st Class - EK1 document.

His name looks like Feldwebel Julius Dahlhaus.

The stamp looks like it’s from the 44th Reichsgrenadier Division which was destroyed at Stalingrad.

Limited research that I’ve done list him as Missing in Action at Stalingrad, but I’m not 100% sure of that.

Does anyone know who the General is who signed this?

Any information about this person would be helpful as I wish to put history back together to honor him.
    Attached Files

more

more
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi if it is the commander its http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Siebert

Comment

Unfortunately there is no Julius Dahlhaus listed in the Volksbund database for having being KIA/MIA.

Comment

Strictly speaking this is the 44 Infanterie Division. The 44 Reichsgrenadier Division was the new division raised in june 43.

As this guy was a feldwebel and got the EKI in 1940 (which was not common by any means) i had a hunch this guy might have been commissioned and if he survived might have been further decorated.

Sure enough, there's an Oberleutnant Julius Dahlhaus with II./Pz.Gr.Rgt.110 who was awarded the DKiG on 27.1.1944. I think there's a very good chance this is the same man.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Simon, you are correct, it is just the 44th Infantry Division, not the 44th Reichsgrenadier. The stamp on this document then appears to be from the 44th Division that was later destroyed in Stalingrad.

Comment

Simon,
              Thanks for the tip on his promotion. I found his name on the following link:
              http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=8145

If it's the same guy, you are right, he did hold the German Cross while serving with the 11th Panzer Division.

Someplace I ran his name on a MIA list from Stalingard, but now I can not find were I saw that...I'll keep looking in my notes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X