Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ss recruitment poster

Hello fellow collectors,

Got for some years ago a SS-recruitment poster. Although my first feeling says this one isn't original i just want to be sure.. Never saw a poster like this one before. The paper itself looks old. The printing quality is very poor.
    The poster is 42,5 x 30 cm

looking forward to hear your opinions

best regards
    Attached Files

detail 1
    Attached Files

Comment

detail 2
      Attached Files

Comment

detail 3
        Attached Files

Comment

Nobody had seen such a poster before?!
          The paper itself is probably very old. Due to acidifing it is very fragile.

Comment

Nice orginal poster!

Comment

Looks like a repro of the postcard to me.

No printers info on the bottom of the poster = fake. Especially on Anton's posters. He was in very tight with the SS Hauptamt who printed the majority of his Waffen-SS posters.

Postcards have the printers info on the back and this looks exactly like the postcard.

Comment

Complete fake for me. Sorry.
                It looks like a mordern silkprint looking at the way it is printed.

Comment

Thanks Tony and Maxmine for yours reply. Do posters have always printers info at the botom? For example the famous "Auch du" poster designed by 'Anton'.
                  Are there more examples around of this "Melde dich.." around (or postcards?)

Comment

Arn't there any examples of the "Melde dich.." recruiment postcard out there?
                    If my poster is original or not, this technic of printing did exist imo before 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Paukenschlag View Post
                      Arn't there any examples of the "Melde dich.." recruiment postcard out there?
                      If my poster is original or not, this technic of printing did exist imo before 1945.

That design by Anton was used in at least three different versions - two with German text and one in French - not sure what it would prove by putting up the postcard but I'll post a blown up section of it and the text on the back. This text should be at the bottom of your poster if it was authentic.

As to the printing style - yes that style has been around for a long time since the 1850's - called "halftone" where the dots fool the eye - but it's mostly been used for black and white newsprint. The Germans were not stingy enough to use this cheap method for posters - not even on postcards. They used continuous tone methods for better quality items.

Last edited by TonyS; 08-14-2011, 08:36 AM.

Comment

reply fast if you need to - I'm not prepared to leave the printers info up for much longer due to fakers looking at this site.

All we need is for good copies on period paper to come out with the printers info on it.

Comment

Thanks for the info Tony,

Isn't it strange that my poster is printed in a very boldly style without printers name?
                          One should think that the one who put probably much effort in reproducing this poster at least would put a printers name on it.
                          Compare it to fake equipment (chinstraps, buckles etc.) These almost always have a makers code on it

Comment

Here a beautiful recruitment leaflet designed by 'Anton'

"Auch Du!"
                            Attached Files

Comment

qwrwetr
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X