Highly Decorated Panzer NCO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveNZ View Post
    what badge would a panzerjaeger get? GAB? or silver PAB if motorised?

cheers

dave

It all depends on the unit the soldier was serving in. There are official orders outlining exactly which award was to be given to what personnel based on the unit they were serving in, but you will find that sometimes the lines are blurred.

A Panzerjäger in an Infanterie Regiment would receive the IAB in silver. A soldier crewing a self-propelled Panzerjäger such as a Marder III would likely receive the GAB, but so would a soldier serving in a motorized (i.e. towed PaK.40) Panzerjäger unit. Panzerjäger crews outfitted with StuGs and Hetzers also should have received GABs. Ferdinand/Elefant and Jagdpanther crews (all schwere Panzerjäger units) received the PAB in silver, but I have seen crew members of Nashorns (also a schwere Panzerjäger unit) awarded the GAB. The PAB in bronze was awarded to crew members of armored fighting vehicles 'other' than fully tracked tanks (i.e Panzer-Aufklärungs personnel crewing SdKfz.222, 232, etc.) as well as "gepanzert" motorized Panzergrenadiers where as standard motorized Panzergrenadiers received the IAB in bronze.

I have scans of all of the various orders but don't have them with me. Perhaps someone who has access and the time can post them here.

Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X