• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highly Decorated Panzer NCO

One
    Attached Files

Originally posted by krim4142 View Post
    One
    More likely panzergrenadier than panzer.

Comment

As jmark say, this guy is a panzergrenadier!

Comment

Yea panzergrenadier for sure, nice photo!
        I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
        Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
        My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

I gather the bronze tank badge would be the indicator...Nice photo.

Glenn
          "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Bronze PAB : "The Wehrmacht Tank Battle badge was introduced on December 20, 1939, in order to recognize the achievements of Panzer personnel who took part in armored assaults. It was designed by Ernst Peekhaus of Berlin, and was instituted by order of Generaloberst von Brauchitsh. On June 6th, 1940, a separate class of the badge, in Bronze, was added in order to recognize the crews of armored vehicles other than tanks (half tracks, assault guns, etc).

Bronze IAB:he Infantry Combat Badge, more commonly referred to as the Infantry Assault Badge, was designed by C. E. Junker of Berlin and instituted on December 20, 1939 by Generaloberst von Brauchitsch. The initial class was instituted in silver and decorated foot infantry who participated in combat action earning a degree of experience that qualified them for the badge.

A separate class, in Bronze, was instituted on June 1, 1940. The Bronzed class had criteria similar to the requirements the Silver. There was, however, one notable distinction; The status of the troops, bronzed meant motorized Panzer troops, silver meant foot infantry.

More likely to be armoured vehicle crew or panzerjager than Panzer grenadier.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
              I gather the bronze tank badge would be the indicator...Nice photo.

Glenn

most likely, but could also be panzer-aufklärungs
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Agreed

I agree with Simon. Could be Panzergrenadier but could also be a member of a Panzeraufklärungs-Abteilung . Both could receive the PAB in bronze and the CCC.
                Regards,
                Mike

Comment

Uniform with awards shout Pz Grenadier.
                  Last edited by Edward; 08-03-2011, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                    More likely to be armoured vehicle crew or panzerjager than Panzer grenadier.
                    I would think most likely to be a Panzergrenadier.

what badge would a panzerjaeger get? GAB? or silver PAB if motorised?

cheers

dave

Comment

GAB. Although you will see some strange stuff at times with late-war units.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward View Post
                        GAB. Although you will see some strange stuff at times with late-war units.
                        My Great-Granddad was a Panzerjäger.

He was awarded with the bronze PAB while some of his comrades were awarded with the GAB.

Cheers,
                        Philipp

Comment

"A separate class, in Bronze, was instituted on June 1, 1940. The Bronzed class had criteria similar to the requirements the Silver. There was, however, one notable distinction; The status of the troops, bronzed meant motorized Panzer troops, silver meant foot infantry."

This is a little incorrect. The Bronze version of the IAB was for 'Motorized' Troops not 'Panzer'.

The Bronze version of the PAB was pf course for panzer grenadier, panzer recon, and armoured car regiments.

To give a more partial example The Panzer Grenadier Div GD in 1944 had two infantry regiments a Grenadier and a Fusilier both of these regiments has three battalions and only the first was armoured and the other two motorized. Thus the soldiers in the first BN would get the Bronze PAB while soldiers in the other two would get the Bronze IAB.

Before this it was a Motorized inf Div so only a Bronze PAB would be given out.

At least in theory.

I agree a Panzer Grenadier or Fusilier, but could also be a Kradschutzer mann

Comment

A positive source for further clarification would be a known Soldbuch(s) annotating these awards and assigned organizations.

-Ray-
                            Last edited by CIB; 08-05-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                              "
                              Before this it was a Motorized inf Div so only a Bronze PAB would be given out.
                              opps I made a boo-boo that should be 'Bronze IAB' than PAB

Cheers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X