Award Docs Aux Cruiser Thor and Michel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Award Docs Aux Cruiser Thor and Michel

Not in great condition but some nice history to them. Sailor was on 2nd cruise of the Thor and awarded EK2. When docked in Japan the Thor was destroyed by a fire. He then transfered to the Michel for its 2nd cruise but was sunk On her return to Japan, just 50 miles (80 km) out from port, and not zigzagging,<SUP></SUP>Michel was sighted by US submarine Tarpon, who attacked in one of the few instances of American submarines attacking a German vessel during World War II, hitting her with three torpeedos. Michel sank, with 290 of her crew, including her captain. The survivors, 116 in total, were able to reach Japan after a three day journey in open boats. Scores of men had been left on rafts and floating wreckage, but the Japanese Navy reported that search aircraft had seen nothing. This caused some controversy amongst German Navy officers in Japan and at Naval Headquarters, with the Japanese seeming to have a blase attitude towards possible German survivors.<SUP></SUP>This event ended the war cruises of German auxiliary commerce raiders.

If anyone could provide a translation of the letter i would be grateful, as I understand it sort of refers to this incident
    regs, Rob
    Attached Files
    Regards, Rob
    Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Might not be in the best of condition as you say, but still a nice little group. I particularly like the EK variant citation. He is buried in Yokohama. Taken from Ubootwaffe website...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hucks216; 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM.

Comment

The docs a whole and to be honest i don't think condition affects value in this case.

A pity the Aux cruiser badge isn't with it as well but still a very nice group.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Wow--that is a really nice set.

I pulled Steffens info from my database. No new data for you. Everything was previously avaliable .

Joe
        Attached Files

Comment

Great set of documents Rob !

I am with Simon concerning the condition.

No sticky tape used on it, and that is most important.

Thanks for showing.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

Nice group Rob.

Always nice for me to see items related to the Thor.

Steffens would have been one of many crewmen who transfered to the Michel after the Thor was destroyed,including Thor's Commander Gunther Gumprich.

Gumprich took over command of Michel's second cruise when the Commander Helmut von Ruckteschell fell ill and was hospitalized in Tokyo.

I would also like to see a translation of the letter if some kind member would not mind taking the time.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

The letter states their son was lost as the ship was sunk on such-and-such a date. A portion of the crew was lost/missing at that time.

Due to censorship concerns, no open accounts of the action are allowed to be published, by orders of the Führer. The Kriegsmarine Command is doing everything they can to alleviate concerns.

that's a condensed version.

best
              Hank
              Last edited by Hank Cummings; 07-19-2011, 08:06 PM. Reason: more info
              Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
              ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Thanks Hank.

Regards,Martin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X