HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitler's company? Question about Sterbebild/Death Card (WW1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitler's company? Question about Sterbebild/Death Card (WW1)

I bought this a while ago for my WW1 collection and was primarily interested in it because its a set of two brothers on separate cards. However, I noticed today as I was entering the information in my collection list, that it would appear the top card, Vitus, was in the same company as Hitler. Is this correct? It's not uncommon at all to see List Regiment death cards out there, but I'm not sure how many I've seen of 1st Company (although honestly, I haven't looked that closely all the time.)

Also, can anyone give me a confirmation on the spelling of the last name? I haven't been able to find either brother on the War Graves commission search. I tried the following:

Heitz
    Heiss
    Heiß
    Heisz
    Heifz

I can't figure the spelling on the old script for sure.

Last edited by RelicHunter; 07-05-2011, 09:36 PM.

Hi

To me it looks like Heiß. It doesn't end in a tz - you can compare the t in Vitus and it doesn't look like it and also it isn't fz because if you look at the f in Wolfgang again it doesn't look like it. So for me it's Heiß.

Comment

Originally posted by cesky67 View Post
      Hi

To me it looks like Heiß. It doesn't end in a tz - you can compare the t in Vitus and it doesn't look like it and also it isn't fz because if you look at the f in Wolfgang again it doesn't look like it. So for me it's Heiß.
      Concur.

Hank
      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

I could not find Wolfgang Heiß and not even Vitus Heiß in the Volksbund list.

Gerdan

Comment

Wikipedia contributes the following note on typographic ligatures: "Remnants of ſʒ ("sz") and tʒ ("tz") ligatures from Fraktur, a family of German blackletter typefaces, originally mandatory in Fraktur but now employed only stylistically, can be seen to this day on street signs for city squares whose name contains Platz or ends in -platz." If that is the case, then the names on the two death cards would be Vitus and Wolfgang Heisz.

Br. James

Comment

Br.James could be right, but if you look at the wwi Militarpaß or at the wwi deathcards you do see the "ß" and it does look very similar to what is on Relichunter's card. Even in the WWII Soldbuch and Wehrpaß you come across words ending in "ß" and again they look similar to Relichunter's card. I did have a look at the Volksbund site for Heisz but there is not a single person of that name there, of course that does not mean that the name doesn't exist. I guess Relichunter needs to examine his other wwi cards and compare.

Comment

I can assure Br. James has the correct interpretation. It is " ß " written with types of the Fraktur (tz)

Gerdan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X