Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS TK/Nordland grouping

Hi,

I picked this up last weekend. Small but very nice grouping of a soldier who started out in the TK division and later merged to the I.R. Nordland.
    EK 2 doc signed by Theodor Eicke, maybe someone can help identify the signature on the IAB?

Weird thing is, the woundbadge doc doesn't show the unit he served under.

Thanks!
    Os.
    Attached Files

bwb doc
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ostarrichi997 View Post
      Hi,

I picked this up last weekend. Small but very nice grouping of a soldier who started out in the TK division and later merged to the I.R. Nordland.
      EK 2 doc signed by Theodor Eicke, maybe someone can help identify the signature on the IAB?

Weird thing is, the woundbadge doc doesn't show the unit he served under.

Thanks!
      Os.
      The Nordland document is signed by later Knight's Cross winner Wolfgang Joerchel. He was acting commander here, but later became the last full commander of Reg. Nordland. He then commanded the regiment's follow-up unit, SS-PGR 23 Norge, before winning his RK as commander of SS-PGR 48 General Seyffardt. Joerchel then commanded the Junkerschule Prague in the last months of the war, and was killed by Czech partisans at the end of the war.

Comment

Very nice little set there. I especially like the Western Campaign dated EK citation.

Comment

very nice little grouping there , rick

Comment

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
            Very nice little set there. I especially like the Western Campaign dated EK citation.
            Me too

Comment

Thanks everyone for their opinions and comments!

Marc, Where did you get the info about Joerchel? I have been trying to find more info on the I.R. Nordland, but I wasn't very successful with finding anything.

Any help to shed some light on the I.R. Nordland is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
              Os.

Comment

That is an interesting date on the wound badge citation (for the date of his wounding) as that was the same day that SS-Totenkopf Infantry Rgt 2 (14 Kompanie) committed the massacre of 99 soldiers of the Royal Norfolk Regiment at Le Paradis.

Comment

Originally posted by Ostarrichi997 View Post
                  Thanks everyone for their opinions and comments!

Marc, Where did you get the info about Joerchel? I have been trying to find more info on the I.R. Nordland, but I wasn't very successful with finding anything.

Any help to shed some light on the I.R. Nordland is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
                  Os.
                  You can read about Regiment Nordland in Wilhelm Tieke's book Tragedy of the Faithful, which is a history of the Nordland and Nederland Divisions. It has a chapter on predecessor units, such as Reg. Nordland.

There's other sources, such as Mark Yerger's volume 3 in his German Cross winners series, which covers Reg. and Div. Nordland.

As to Le Paradis, Totenkopf suffered heavy casualties on the day of the shooting, so it is no surprise this guy was wounded that day.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thank you all for all the info! I really appreciate that!
                    It always is very nice to have some insight on document groupings!

Thanks Marc for the book recommendation!

Best,
                    Os.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X