EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show pics of campaign cufftittles + campaign shield or 2x campaign cuffs or 2x shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show pics of campaign cufftittles + campaign shield or 2x campaign cuffs or 2x shield

Hi Guys,

I would like to see some ultra rare uniforms.

Criteria for posting are any (pics of) uniforms that have:

a double campaign cufftitle - does anyone have any pics of a combination other than Kreta+Afrika?

a campaign cufftitle plus a campaign shield - if not fully clear please identify both

two campaign shields on one uniform - if not fully clear please identify both

I am posting a couple that I found in books. Please add to these! Thanks.

Cheers, Willem

First up Kreta + Narvik (Paratrooper)
    Second up Kreta (?) + Krim (Pilot)
    Attached Files
    2 campaign cufftitles
    21.43%
    one campaign cufftitle and one campaign shield
    71.43%
    two campaign shields
    7.14%

The poll is expired.

Anton Mueller: Kurland + Demjansk (Infantry)
    Loehr: Kreta + Krim (?) (Luftwaffe)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 06-26-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Germer: Kreta + Narvik (Paratrooper)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 06-26-2011, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Does anyone have any pics of a different combination of campaign cufftitles?

Has anyone any pics of the Kreta/Afrika combination other than on Fallschirmjaegers?

Cheers, W
        Attached Files

Comment

Walther: Kreta (?) + Narvik (Paratrooper)
          Attached Files

Comment

should you not credit the book or owner of these photos ?
            Ian

www.pixpast.com

Comment

Yes it is common courtesy to cite the book or reference you are using.

Bill

Comment

Credits will follow. I hope then that the sticklers for formality do not start asking me if I have asked the publishing companies if they are all right with these pics appearing on the web. The idea is to learn a bit more about campaign combinations on uniforms a subject that should be interesting to collectors and on which I believe there is not much info. So please let's have some comments that contribute to this.

Comment

enjoy your comments !
                  but also enjoy the lovely letters or emails youl receive from the original owners or publishers that have invested big money in these photos.

we are only giving you a little simple advice my friend !

Ian

Comment

If you want to get any kind of accurate idea of which cufftitle and shield combinations are the most or least common then looking through books for published photos i would suggest isn't the way to do it.

Baring individuals that moved between units the way to do it is to compile detailed orders of battle (down to the smallest independent unit) for each of the campaigns for which a shield or cufftitle was awarded, then cross reference them to see which qualified for two or more. Then, given the size and number of those formations you will get a far more accurate idea of how many roughly speaking, might fall into the criteria you've set out.

I can start you off.

The only unit which had members that could have qualified for both the first and last campaign shield (Narvik and Lappland) was GJR 139, originally belonging to the 3 Geb.Div. by 1945 it belonged to the 9 Geb.Div. at the end of the war it was roughly 3000 men strong but of these only a small minority will still have been around who had served in 1940 and the regiment was awarded around 2000 narviks at the time.

So, as a rough estimate i don't think anymore than 2-300 will ever have been awarded both shields.

Here's a photo of a GJR 139 vet wearing both, i also have a grouping which includes award docs for both shields to the same man, if you search the forum you should find it.
                    Attached Files
                    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

2 Cuff Titles

Hello,
                      Here is one of mine. It is interesting in that one of the Cuff Titles isn't really sewn to the sleeve. Enjoy! Sincerely, DJB
                      Attached Files

Comment

This FJ is also wearing the Regt CT on the wrong side.

Originally posted by David B. View Post
                        Hello,
                        Here is one of mine. It is interesting in that one of the Cuff Titles isn't really sewn to the sleeve. Enjoy! Sincerely, DJB

Comment

Hi David,

thanks for posting your pic. Unfortunately it is not quite what I am looking for as this topic concerns itself with any combination of campaign cufftitles and campaign shields. Your guy does have two cufftitles but only one of these is a campaign one. And yes it is on the wrong sleeve.

Hi Simon,

you are absolutely right from a theoretical point of view. Unfortunately it is very hard to determine if the Kurland cufftitle f.e. was actually received and / or worn by the units eligable for it. The same is more or less true for the Lapland shield. So the best evidence is contemporary photographs.

So far, it seems to me that the only fairly 'frequent' combination of cufftitles seems to be Kreta/Afrika especially on Luft uniforms (both pilots and paratroopers). There seems to be a very small posibility, probably more theoretical than real, that some Gebirgsjaeger may also have qualified for the Kreta/Afrika combo as a minor Gebirgsjaeger element was also active in Africa. Any contemporary pics would help a lot. I do not think any other heer unit would qualify for the Kreta/Afrika combo as Kreta seems to have been a paratrooper/gebirgsjaeger operation. So for now I would think you could only a Luft tunic (or Kriegsmarine?) with the Kreta/Afrika combo could be considered as possibly/likely authentic. If anyone has any other input on this - please share.

As for double campaign shields I have only seen that once on a Luft pilot tunic. If anyone has any pics to share, please do.

It therefore seems a campaign cuff plus campaign shield is probably the most frequently seen combo on WWII tunics. I would definitely be interested in more pics of these combo's to be able to determine what one might reasonably be able to expect to encounter on an authentic uniform.

All of the above is of course not an exact science but I believe a topic worth exploring based on period photographs.

Cheers, W

Comment

Victor Bauer, second from right. I have been lucky to have handled the actual tunic with the two shields. Jacques
                            Attached Files

Comment

for the late war awards like the Kurland, dunkirk, lorient and lappland of course there's a difference between what was awarded and what was actually produced and worn.

As far as the lappland goes we do know more or less exactly which units qualified and which awarded them (actually wearing them is a different matter).

As for GJ and Kreta, the 6 Geb.Div. which ended the war in Northern Norway sent a sizeable detachment of troops to Crete in 41, so Kreta and Lappland combinations can be found, i have two such groups.

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
                              Hi David,

Hi Simon,

you are absolutely right from a theoretical point of view. Unfortunately it is very hard to determine if the Kurland cufftitle f.e. was actually received and / or worn by the units eligable for it. The same is more or less true for the Lapland shield. So the best evidence is contemporary photographs.

So far, it seems to me that the only fairly 'frequent' combination of cufftitles seems to be Kreta/Afrika especially on Luft uniforms (both pilots and paratroopers). There seems to be a very small posibility, probably more theoretical than real, that some Gebirgsjaeger may also have qualified for the Kreta/Afrika combo as a minor Gebirgsjaeger element was also active in Africa. Any contemporary pics would help a lot. I do not think any other heer unit would qualify for the Kreta/Afrika combo as Kreta seems to have been a paratrooper/gebirgsjaeger operation. So for now I would think you could only a Luft tunic (or Kriegsmarine?) with the Kreta/Afrika combo could be considered as possibly/likely authentic. If anyone has any other input on this - please share.

Cheers, W
                              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X