No announcement yet.

Major Oseau + Major Balthasar Photo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another photo that shows him a bit from the side. There is a handwritten describtion on the reverse side of the photo which says that it is in Beaumonte le Royer 1942.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 11-12-2011, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
      Gotta love that Perm ...
      You should see that hair in humid weather. Poof city. My husband has the same curly hair and he keeps it very short or he has to use a LOT of Brill or VO5 to keep it in that "Jazz cut" Walter has.

Mine's not as curly, but it's fine and those with curly hair know what humidity does to curls.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBaroness View Post
        Yes, that man saluting Balthasar is Walter. He was a short, stocky man, and I know the ear shape, facial structure and eye tilt rather well. Give me a couple of days and I can dig up some more profile portraits. Walter tended to lose and gain weight, so his face was sometimes fatter than other times - When he got married in 1940 on Christmas break, he gained a bit afterwards. (as all men tend to do, heh heh) but towards the end of the war, he aged so much he was nearly unrecognizable. I have a picture or two of him when he was Heer and RAD and the RAD portrait makes me laugh so hard it's not funny. Also remember he was scarred badly by shrapnel fire in Barbarossa in '41, so that changed his face considerably, giving him even MORE of a cleft chin than he had originally.

I have an unerring tendency to be able to pick him out of a group in nearly an instant, due to having studied him for over 5 years now.

Oh, and that last one there on the left is heavily softened and edited as well, probably during the era. I prefer the right one, shows more of the wear and tear and you can see the scars better. There's a shot of him somewhere on my disks that shows him at Moelders' funeral and you can clearly see the damage caused by the shrapnel wounds.

Thank you very much for bringing this thread back up! I had long given up hope on this photo, even tho I had always believed it to be Walter. It is nice to hear such confirmation, especially after the time I personally spent trying to make a positive (or negative) ID. Again, thanks for posting.
        Just by chance, would you know what event or occasion this image portrays? It May not even be a special or certain event, just curious if you recognize it by chance.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X