Memorial to fallen Generaloberst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorial to fallen Generaloberst

Thought you photo guys would enjoy this picture of an "in country" memorial to Generaloberst Eugen Ritter v. Schobert.

Cheers.
    David
    Attached Files
    Last edited by herrgeezer; 05-15-2004, 06:34 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Anybody know what this says on the back?
      Attached Files

Comment

The date of the photo and "Grabstätte in Nikolayev."

"Nikolayev" would be Nikolaev.

According to Ritter von Schobert's entry in "Virtuti Pro Patria," he was killed alongside his personal pilot, a Hauptmann Suwalek.

Ritter von Schobert, quite oddly WAS indeed buried there, on the spot (presumably there wasn't much left, from an artillery burst or something-- the gory details are omitted in patriotic verbiage). He had a state memorial service in Bucharest, Rumania, but his body was not-- as usual-- returned home. Perhaps it was felt that the "Thousand Year Reich" might find the frontline war grave of a Generaloberst a propaganda focus in centuries to come.

"VPP" reports that the Soviets, as was general practice, destroyed this grave on recapturing their territory, so Ritter von Schobert is commemorated by a memorial plaque in his family's burial plot in Bavaria... but his body was undoubtedly tipped in a ditch somewhere like millions of others in Russia last century.

Comment

Hi!

Ritter von Schobert and his pilot were killed when their Fieseler Storch was forced down by AA fire and landed in a minefield, hence there was not a lot left to bury.

Regards,

VJK

Comment

Thanks for the info gents. I didn't know that the memorial to Ritter v. Schobert was an actual grave site. I thought that the helmet did look a little bent and now I know why.

Comment

The entire view of the grave site.

Comment

It was one of the sites where soldiers could take snapshots of comrades.

Comment

Great photos Akira. Thanks for sharing.

-D.

Comment

Uli, our friend with a huge collection of RK-Träger resting place related photos, has kindly corrected my mistake. It is not the grave of Schobert. The real grave is shown here (courtesy Uli) - left: Schobert, right: Hptm. Suwelack, the pilot. Sorry David, I was wrong!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi
                      Uli, our friend with a huge collection of RK-Träger resting place related photos, has kindly corrected my mistake. It is not the grave of Schobert. The real grave is shown here (courtesy Uli) - left: Schobert, right: Hptm. Suwelack, the pilot. Sorry David, I was wrong!
                      Thanks for the follow-up Akira.
                      David

Comment

Hello all,

My grandfather, who is now 86 years old, was a Romanian engineer leutenant and was assigned to command a special unit assigned to clear mines on all possible airfield or landing spot, after Schobert's accident.

Dragos

Comment

Hello Dragos, welcome to the forum!

Good to hear that your grandfather survived dangerous missions! He must have seen one of the worst aspect of the war I am sure...

I've been to Bucharest only once (one night) during my business trip over Europe several years ago. A good old town... Must have changed a lot since then!

Comment

Originally posted by V. J. Kursietis View Post
                            Hi!

Ritter von Schobert and his pilot were killed when their Fieseler Storch was forced down by AA fire and landed in a minefield, hence there was not a lot left to bury.

Regards,

VJK
                            Hello all,

according to the new photo evidence of von Schobert`s death (which can be seen for the first time I guess) showed in the album I got I would say there was no a minefield during the landing and there was no big damages to the plane or even soldiers bodies.
                            They must have met some AA fire in the air, just as said before, got few or many shots but still were able to land and then they eventually bleeded out. But they (Schobert and his pilot Suwelack) did not land on any minefield as it was told before...they most probably had many shot wounds but still landed quite succesfully ...... and died after that.

Comment

Here we can see the LW pilot which is most probably Hauptmann Suwelack (the plane is marked KF XX). The plane is refueled.

And von Schobert is standing by the plane KF XX.
                              By side there is another plane as they flewn together in the last Schobert fly above Nikolayev.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X