Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitler Signature Postcard Translation

Hi Guys,
    Could I get some opinions and translation on this Hitler signature postcard?
    I purchased this from a well known U.K. military author. Any assistance to the translation and authentication of the signature would be highly appreciated.
    Best,
    Wolfslair
    Attached Files

I think the Hitler signature is not an authentic autograph. Sorry.
    Max.

Comment

Thanks max history for your opinion,
      I'm wondering more on the actual translation on the back of the post card.
      I guess that this will authenticate the postcard.
      Any further opinions?

Comment

trans

It simply says the person sending the card to the lady recipient states that the card was personally signed by the Fuehrer. (personally is underlined)

Comment

Originally posted by wolfslair View Post
          Thanks max history for your opinion,
          I'm wondering more on the actual translation on the back of the post card.
          I guess that this will authenticate the postcard.
          Any further opinions?
          No problem. On the face of it, the signature does exhibit various elements compliant with well known forgeries.
          I would not solely rely upon the wording of the card as it was common to obtain a postcard and have it post franked in recognition of a certain event. Blank, but franked, postcards are therefore sometimes used by forgers to add belief to a fake signature, by subsequently adding text referring to the signature. In most cases, the only way to determine authentic text on a postcard is to examine it under extremely strong magnification. By this method, one can usually determine if the postal franking ink overlays the handwriting, or vice versa.
          This card appears to have been purchased, stamped and franked in recognition of Hitler's visit to Prague after occupation of the Protectorate territory. For someone to have obtained Hitler's autograph on a postcard during this visit which was very short, he would have to have been an extremely prominent person as Hitler's time was pretty much occupied with official business.
          Looking at the signature alone, it displays a number of faults for the known examples in this timespan. In fact it does have one element which is nearly always present in fake examples. As in all cases, the only way of being sure is to physically examine it, but I would be very suspicious of this example, purely based on the signature shown here and it is one I would pass by, regardless of what the text says.
          Regards,
          Max.

Comment

The Sütterlin handwriting is somewhat inconsistent and does not appear typical of the period.
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

Sorry but that is not Suetterlin. Just normal German handwriting.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
                Sorry but that is not Suetterlin. Just normal German handwriting.
                Well actually there are some Sütterlin letters included in this handwriting. For example, the writer uses the Sütterlin "h".
                Max.

Comment

Many thank gemtlemen for taking the time to reply to my questions.
                  Regards,
                  Wolfslair

Comment

Also the handwriting is full of mistakes. The lower case characters are too big, there is no clear distinction between “e” an “n”, which one would usually find at that time. Very suspicious is the “a” in “Dame”, “Almann”, and “Traunstein”. Take a closer look, it’s “Dane”, “Almain” and “Traınstein”. The forger wrongly took the last part of the “a” for the first part of the “m” resp. “n”, and, furthermore, he forgot the u-overline twice. There is a wrong decender of the second “t” in “Traunstein” and, most revealing, the subsequent Latin “e”.

Trebes

Comment

Originally posted by Trebes View Post
                      Also the handwriting is full of mistakes. The lower case characters are too big, there is no clear distinction between “e” an “n”, which one would usually find at that time. Very suspicious is the “a” in “Dame”, “Almann”, and “Traunstein”. Take a closer look, it’s “Dane”, “Almain” and “Traınstein”. The forger wrongly took the last part of the “a” for the first part of the “m” resp. “n”, and, furthermore, he forgot the u-overline twice. There is a wrong decender of the second “t” in “Traunstein” and, most revealing, the subsequent Latin “e”.

Trebes
                      Exactly, the handwriting is supposed to be perhaps 65-75% Sütterlin but appears to have been written by someone unfamiliar and unschooled in its use
                      Erich
                      Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by max history View Post
                        I think the Hitler signature is not an authentic autograph. Sorry.
                        Max.
                        Agreeing with Max on this one. Not a signature i would be comfortable with.

I have seen this type before, clearly done by the same hand but not by Adolf Hitler IMO. Doesn't match up with any of his known styles.

Comment

Here is an example of a blank franked postcard to illustrate my point about postcards used by forgers. The Hitler signature is obviously fake. In this example, the reverse of the card has been authentically stamped and franked twice. It is clear that such genuine cards have been exploited by forgers to subsequently add fake signatures and handwriting.
                          Max.
                          (Source: Charles Hamilton, "Leaders and Personalities of the Third Reich" vol. 1.)
                          Attached Files

Comment

I totally agree with those who have opined that the handwriting used for the text on the card at the top of this thread is a poor attempt that is not consistent with period handwriting at all.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfslair View Post
                              Hi Guys,
                              Could I get some opinions and translation on this Hitler signature postcard?
                              I purchased this from a well known U.K. military author. Any assistance to the translation and authentication of the signature would be highly appreciated.
                              Best,
                              Wolfslair
                              What known author sold you this?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X