Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Basic (& Possibly stupid) question

Hi
    Sorry if this is a really silly question but would some one please let me know the significance of the number 8 bottom right. I quite often see pictures numbered in this manner and would like to know the reason
    many thanks in advance
    andy
    Attached Files

I think it is a sequence number for photos taken by a photographer attached to a specific unit so that soldiers (or sailors etc) could order sets or individual copies of the photos.

Comment

Andy, if you don't mind, I would also like to ask about numbers 1 & 2 bottom left on these photos. What for they are there?

1.jpg2.jpg

Comment

Reverse:

REVERSES.jpg

Comment

I think it is the same as for the answer in Post 2, or they might be part of a box set of photos that could have a small index with the description of each photo.

Comment

When you see those numbers on a photo, you can be pretty much assured that there are plenty of other prints of that same photo in existence.

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
              When you see those numbers on a photo, you can be pretty much assured that there are plenty of other prints of that same photo in existence.
              "Plenty"? I will be appreciate to you if you will show me more than 2-3 shots like these...

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
                I also agree with you. I see these numbers on alot of so called "top photos". Doesnt mean that it is the answer for ALL numbered photos, but I agree that photos of Generals, High ranking persons, and action/SS photos....that it would be the case. Photos like Andys however, I would have to agree with Hucks' theory.

This is not my photo anymore, so please excuse the watermark, however this photo had a number 8 on the top right. It was no doubt period printed, and on Agfa paper....but I wouldnt doubt if there were more than 1 copy printed.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andy,

Yours is certainly not a silly question, and the variety of responses illustrates that! It is also possible that the number on your photo was put there by the photographer to key it to a separate caption sheet, describing the details of each photo in a series as to what, when and where each photo is about. This is different than the series number found on the reverses of post cards, put there to enable the potential customer to order one or more cards from the publisher. Numbers found on the obverse of photos may be there to indicate a specific order in which the photos are to be displayed and thereby enabling a central caption key to be written and connected to the series in display. Hope these thoughts are helpful.

Br. James

Comment

OK. And what for is the number on this portrait?

001a.jpg001c.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Harris View Post
                      OK. And what for is the number on this portrait?
                      That number is on the negativ the foto was developed from, so it could be located easier if more copies were needed.

Comment

I agree with Gran Sasso; the number on the obverse of Andrew's photo is there for the same basic reason as the one on the original note opening this thread, by Andy. It's there to enable the photographer to track the negative for either reproduction or caption purposes.

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X