80th I.D. Berchtesgaden

Enjoy!!

in front of the Berghof...
    Attached Files

another from the grouping...

is this the berghof?
    Attached Files

Comment

Great photos. These are from ebay, right?

I saw the auction but didn't end up bidding. The second photo is not from the Berghof. it looks like one of the other personality homes, maybe Bormann's, although his had a large balcony out front and I can't see that in the photo. I'm sure someone else will know, Geoff certainly will.

Cheers, and thanks for posting.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CPB View Post
        Great photos. These are from ebay, right?

I saw the auction but didn't end up bidding. The second photo is not from the Berghof. it looks like one of the other personality homes, maybe Bormann's, although his had a large balcony out front and I can't see that in the photo. I'm sure someone else will know, Geoff certainly will.

Cheers, and thanks for posting.

Chris
        Glad you like the photos. They were on Ebay!! I was lucky and forgot about the auction. Here is another picture from the grouping. I can't read the sign so I don't know this building.
        Attached Files

Comment

I don't know what that building is. Looking at the small table and the padded chair in the background I would say it's a personal home, rather than a party building etc. Also the phone he's holding looks like a household phone.

I played around with the sign a little to see if I could make any of the letters out. It doesn't help much, but see what you think.

Cheers

Chris
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi friends,

Interesting photos, though I don't recognize any of their locations. That's probably because there's not enough background context to place any of them, at least for me. I realize that the sign in the first photo says "Hitler's House" but we've all seen plenty of GI photos where the photographer understood the place he was photographing was the Berghof and it turns out to be the Göring Hugel. Today we all know much more about the topography and the architecture of The Obersalzberg Administration than any of the soldiers did who stood in the blown-out window casing of the Great Hall in the Berghof or walked through the rubble of Haus Bormann or came upon the tunnel system inside the mountain. As Chris said, I hope Geoff can come online and add his vast experience to this interesting subject.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by CPB View Post
              I don't know what that building is. Looking at the small table and the padded chair in the background I would say it's a personal home, rather than a party building etc. Also the phone he's holding looks like a household phone.

I played around with the sign a little to see if I could make any of the letters out. It doesn't help much, but see what you think.

Cheers

Chris
              I agree Chris! The third picture could be Goering's home...
              Attached Files

Comment

My brother Greg let me know this thread was up.

Yes, the third photo was Goering's house. In various 1945 photos you can see those dangling conduits (?) and that distinctive break in the bricks seen in the upper right corner.

The second photo has me stumped. I have searched through my photo files and book references, and I cannot find a single Obersalzberg building that had a roof window like that. This is a fairly common feature of German architecture (particularly military buildings), but although there were several Obersalzberg buildings that were this tall, I couldn't find any with a roof like this.

I hope someone can identify this building!

Geoff Walden

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Walden View Post
                  My brother Greg let me know this thread was up.

Yes, the third photo was Goering's house. In various 1945 photos you can see those dangling conduits (?) and that distinctive break in the bricks seen in the upper right corner.

The second photo has me stumped. I have searched through my photo files and book references, and I cannot find a single Obersalzberg building that had a roof window like that. This is a fairly common feature of German architecture (particularly military buildings), but although there were several Obersalzberg buildings that were this tall, I couldn't find any with a roof like this.

I hope someone can identify this building!

Geoff Walden
                  Thanks for your research. The building in the second picture looks fairly large. The grouping came with a duplicate of the 2nd photo which I'm going to sell. Guess the title will be "unknown bldg - berchtesgaden".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X