Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eBay photo

Greetings to all from Bavaria!!

I saw this photo on eBay this morning and I would like to ask a question about it:

1) Can anyone tell me who are these soldiers (the uniforms look foreign to me)?

2) Can anyone read the text on the back?

http://cgi.ebay.de/TOP-SELTEN-Europa...ht_2548wt_1199

Thank you,

Peter

I am not the seller of the item, so I did not want to post the image without permission.

I'd go for them being German. That type of white fur cap was issued to some troops in Lappland.

the text goes something like. In memory of my *** 1942..then the names, all of which look German or ethnic german.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hello.

They look like cossacks in great coats.

The cossack style hat was not worn exclusively by 'cossacks' but they are certainly a uniformed group.

Regards,
      Chris.

Comment

Appreciate the help!

I though they were Germans or ethnic Germans as well. The writing on the back is in German, but the names seem perhaps Scandinavian or East European - I can read only one - Petrovitz (Sendtner maybe one other).

I have never seen the white fur caps in wear by German troops, Simon. Thanks for letting me know.

Can anyone figure out what it says on the back - is it Gubelis?

Peter

Comment

Here's another example from a photo sold on ebay a while back.

The officer on the right is Hermann Hölter, later Generalleutnant and chief of staff of 20 Gebirgs Armee, the officer in the center is a Finnish liason officer. The photo was taken at a German skiing competition.
          Attached Files
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Mousey
            I wouldn't buy from this guy anyway, I've seen anumber of his photos sell before.

this ONE at least twice.

Thanks guys, for taking the time to discuss my photo...

Interesting comments. I am not certain where these soldiers are from, but I assumed they are Eastern volunteers, judging from the surnames...

As for Mr. Mousey... Of course you saw these photos before. Right here on WAF. I offered them to you guys first, before giving other buyers chance to get them... And I hardly sell copies or fakes... as you best known since you have bought dozens of pictures from me over the years!! Thanks for the endorsement though!!

Mark

Comment

These are Romanians IMO, their equipment sure looks like standard Romanian winter clothing to me.

Al

Comment

See here for reference, some pictures from one of my albums, to an officer who survived Stalingrad - these are wintertime pics from 1942.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X