Hitler Salute in America !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitler Salute in America !!!

Found this postcard with a bunch of other junk at a recent estate sale. Very interesting how the salute was used up until 1942, then was change over to the hand over the heart
    Attached Files

Are you sure that this isn't one of the Merican Bund summer Camps???

There was a rather large group of Bund Members in Wisconsin.

Comment

card

I believe its just a bunch of kids. Its not real clear in the posted picture, but its pretty clear with card in hand they`re saluting the American flag ( and besides, I looked up the camp thinking the very same thing, and there was no mention of it being a Bund camp)

Comment

Very interesting!

Comment

HI Chris,

Yes, a very interesting card! According to Scott Freeland's fine new book on the German-American Bund and related organizations -- "They Too Were Americans: The German-American Bund in Words, Photos and Artifacts" (Bender Publishing, 2011) -- there were four Bund units located in the State of Wisconsin plus a summer camp, Camp Hindenburg. I believe Scott is accumulating additional material for a proposed second edition and I'm sure he would be happy to give you his opinion on whether or not the scene pictured on your card could be Bund-related.

As an aside, I was and still am amazed that the Bund and other Fascist-oriented organizations were as popular and numerous here in the US, Canada and Mexico as Scott's book attests, but then again, the KKK apparently had hundreds of thousands of members here in the 1920s and '30s...

Br. James

Comment

Could be the prewar Bellamy Salute and different than the Olympic Salute. Before hand over heart was amended by congress in flag laws
            in 1942. Regards,Ed.
            Last edited by Ed.Anderson,Jr.; 06-11-2011, 06:51 PM.
            Ed. Anderson,Jr.
            The film "Idiocracy" was originally released as a comedy. Now it has been re-released as a documentary.

Sarcasm is just one of my many talents!

Comment

Ed is right on this. It's the Bellamy salute used by American kids to salute the flag up to the war. If you google it, you'll find other pictures of kids giving that salute in the classroom.

Steve
              ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

IMO, most Americans would be shocked to learn our most recent greatest generation grew up giving the raised-arm salute to the flag, and never said "one nation under god" in the pledge.

Comment

Well, there it is! Until today I had never heard of the Bellamy Salute and its connection to the American Pledge of Allegiance! I began first grade in 1952 and the hand-over-the-heart salute was well-established by that time, and ever since. Thanks to all who have brought this information to my attention; again I say that every day on WAF is a day of learning!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C. View Post
                    IMO, most Americans would be shocked to learn our most recent greatest generation grew up giving the raised-arm salute to the flag, and never said "one nation under god" in the pledge.
                    Yes, thats ridiculous they took that out of "the pledge" as we called it in school. Its because of all the minorities and mixed religions now inside the US unfortunately

BTW, neat photo Chris.

Comment

We've dicussed this before: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=Bellamy
                      pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by 12thPanzer View Post
                        Yes, thats ridiculous they took that out of "the pledge" as we called it in school. Its because of all the minorities and mixed religions now inside the US unfortunately
                        "One nation under God" was added to the pledge in 1954 to somehow protect the US from communisim.

Comment

Right you are, Scott; "one nation under God" was supposed to be our post-war reaction to 'Godless Communism.' Ike got that passed...and I guess it worked. He was one powerful Presbyterian on a mission!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C. View Post
                            "One nation under God" was added to the pledge in 1954 to somehow protect the US from communisim.
                            Right Scott, but like I was saying..."God" has now been taken out of the Pledge of Allegience in some (if not all) public schools in both states that I have lived in, over the past year.. MA and VA. Thats ridiculous IMO. There was a problem with the saying because there were too many mixed religions in the classrooms nowadays, and alot of students were refusing to stand for "the pledge". There argument was that they can still be patriotic and not believe that this is "one nation under God". I dunno, doesnt really make a difference I guess???

Comment

Indeed. Oddly enough it was a Christian group that first protested the mandate to slaute the flag and recite the pledge in public schools.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X