Himmler signed letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Himmler signed letter

Any opinions on this letter. If genuine can anyone provide translation/background to its contents?
    Thanks in advance Jim
    Attached Files

I do not like it.
    Max.

Comment

trans

Dear Daluege, personal!
      The High Lord Mayor of Berlin has turned to me with the request for confidential information and the turning over of documents of the former Police President Engel of Stettin.
      As I don't really know how I should answer this written request, on the one hand to be equitable with the city's request and on the other hand to not harm Engels's advancement, so I kindly ask for your input.
      For your instruction I am sending you the papers from the city with the request for their return.
      Heil H.
      Yours,
      HH
      6 copies

Himmler uses the personal "du" form when addressing Daluege used only with close friends and intimates.

Comment

There are several points about this letter which leave me feeling uncomfortable with its authenticity. Aside from the defects in the signature, Himmler would not have written to a subordinate asking his advice on how to reply to a request. Engel was a senior SS officer and therefore his advancement was in the hands of Himmler himself, so the reason for the request seems ridiculous, albeit I believe Engel was no longer in the SS at the time of this letter. Himmler would still have had a major say in any position Engel occupied. Engel returned to the SS in the early years of the war.
        Until mid-1933, Himmler viewed Daluege as a competitor and a threat to his grab for control of the German police apparatus. By 1935, they had not formed a close professional relationship and I seriously doubt Himmler would have used the familiar "du" so early. I have Himmler letters to Daluege from the same period and they are much more formal. The use of the word "Dein" is also very strange and out of character for 1935.
        The stationery is also incorrect for 1935.
        On the positive side, the Daluege initials appear to be correct, but his signature is being forged more and more often now.
        I am of the opinion that this letter could be a very good forgery and it requires closer physical examination before purchasing.
        Regards,
        Max.
        Last edited by max history; 06-06-2011, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Gents, Thank you for your interest and time so far.

May I respectfully request further comments or opinions whether they are good or bad.

Pauke - Thank you for the translation.

Max - Although you have misgivings about the originality of the letter I liked your full explanation about it and why you have misgivings rather than just "fake!"

Thanks
          Jim

Comment

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post and give their opinions.
            Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X