No announcement yet.

1ST INFANTRY DIVISION GROUP Officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's fantastic information and really brings the whole grouping to life.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hi again,

yes, its realy spectacular as it shows what kind of mundane and in this case "silly" things can hide behind such documents.

The only "not in the official" records story I had about IR22 was the story of Knights Cross holder Norbert Ottawa, although that is not funny at all. Its great to have this info on another officer of the regiment, I am very much looking forward to what else there is about Domizlaff.

Best wishes

Rob

Comment

What a fascinating group as the story has just gotten better.

As to the "Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber"; he got that because he already had the black version (being wounded in WW1 - noted in the regimental history of Infanterie-Regiment von Boyen).

The wound badge situation is interesting. My first thought was that he could have possibly suffered a significant wound and that he received his EK awards as a result (for the wound and/or bravery related to the wound). But, the EK awards look much more like decorations for fighting in the West. So, I wondered if the silver badge was the result of him already being wounded in WWI as his facial scars seem to point in that direcetion. This story proves it. He probably recovered from his ass wound and went on to fight in Belgium and France. The possibility that he could have actually taken his own life in 1941 is even more intriguing.

What an amazing story!

Comment

Fantastic research by Rob! Thanks for taking the time and effort.

So could the Major be the first casualty of the Battle of Poland even if it was
          a piece of shrapnel in butt caused by his own side.

Andy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X