Unit requested for Feldpost number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unit requested for Feldpost number

Yesterday, at the home of an 82nd Airborne vet, I examined a Waffen SS wallet and contents, which he found on a deceased dispatch rider in St Vith,
    Belgium in late January, 1945. Sadly, no Soldbuch was retained but the SS Sturmmann's name was Stefan Platz and his feld post number was 21649/ (CE?). I suspect the dead SS trooper was a member of KG Peiper in December, 1944, but would lke to verify that.
    Also in the wallet was a booklet containing US War Bond stamps and written on that is the name and serial number of one of the GIs whose name appears on the wall of victims at the Baugnez crossroads. So this SS corporal might have been present when the massacre happened or at least may have looted some of the bodies.
    Unfortunately I was not able to purchase the wallet and contents as the vet decided he wants to hang on to it a bit longer.

The SS entries for that Feldpost Number all belong to the Pz.Pionier Btl of the 9 SS Division 'Hohenstaufen'...

(31.7.1942-9.2.1943) Stab mit Pionier-Erkundungs-Zug, 1.-3. Kompanie Brücken-Kolonne und Kolonne Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon SS-Panzergrenadier-Division 9,

(10.2.1943-23.8.1943) Stab mit Pionier-Erkundungs-Zug, 1.-3. Kompanie Brücken-Kolonne und Kolonne Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Hohenstaufen, dann Stab mit Erk. Zug, 1.-3. Kompanie Brücken-Kolonne u. Kolonne SS-Panzer-Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon Hohenstaufen,

(24.8.1943-5.4.1944) 1.3.1944 Stab u. Einheit Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon 9 (9. SS-Division),

(24.8.1943-5.4.1944) 3.3.1944 Stab u. Einheit Pionier-Bataillon 9 (9. SS-Division),

(6.4.1944-9.11.1944) 27.8.1944 Stab u. Einheit Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon 9 (9. SS-Division).

Unfortunately there is no 'Platz' with a fore or middle name of Stefan listed in the Volksbund database for KA/MIA although the database, extensive as it is, isn't complete.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X