16.April 1945 Berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16.April 1945 Berlin

Thought I would share this with you, I'm sure some of you will have seen this before, Considering Today's Date thought it would be Good to Show this on the WAF....Slip of Paper to member of SS-Freiw.Pz.Gren.Div Nordland issued from The Oberkommando des Heeres (OKH) Informing Karl, that he had to Prove another 15 Days close combat to be awarded the NKIG. Picked this Document up few years back, Could see from the Official NKIG list of Winners, That Karl was Credited with this award. However Fellow Collector Pointed out this Document is Mentioned in Dorr's Revised 2006 NKIG Book in Karl's Note section. Looks like its this Document Gives him the Credit for this Award. As I'm sure he would of been able to Prove the Extra Nahkampftage days that were Needed.
    Attached Files

This is one very interesting document hidden behind a somewhat unspectacular thread-title.

CCC in gold connected to Nordland - quite a nice combination

Personnally I find it even more remarkable that someone in mid April 1945 still had the time to
    explain to someone else why his CC-days before Dec. 42 (!) don't fully count.

Do you happen to know where this document comes from?

Comment

Hello Jochen

Karl, was one of the Lucky ones to Escape Berlin, Have seen his POW Document and Letters from Veterans Mentioning Karl Leading Flak Unit called Viehmann Flak in Berlin.. Unfortunately don't have permission to Show these. Yes bureaucracy Right until the End thankfully. Presume these Guys were Striped of anything of Importance once they surended to the Allies.

PS Trolls only head for the spectacular Titled threads

Comment

Originally posted by Justin P View Post
        Hello Jochen

Karl, was one of the Lucky ones to Escape Berlin, Have seen his POW Document and Letters from Veterans Mentioning Karl Leading Flak Unit called Viehmann Flak in Berlin.. Unfortunately don't have permission to Show these. Yes bureaucracy Right until the End thankfully. Presume these Guys were Striped of anything of Importance once they surended to the Allies.

PS Trolls only head for the spectacular Titled threads
        id add here my appreciation of the under stated thread title. good for you! amazing luck this man had, by the sound of it, escaping the bubbling cauldron of a then springtime berlin.

Comment

Good to know that he escaped! Hopefully one day we will see the additional documents. I guess whether he was technically awarded the NKIG or not
          does not really matter because he would have deserved it in any case.

Don't worry about the guys in the administration though - the Allied managed to subdue the III. Reich but certainly not the famous German bureaucracy

Comment

Karl, Was Born in Czechoslovakia, its possible he Fought with other units before Joining Nordland(?) Technically on that Date, No he was not entitled to this Award. However reading accounts of this Unit's actions from this period. I'm sure he would of notched up the extra CC days needed in the coming Days/Weeks, even if he could not Prove the CC days before 1942!

Hopefully the Owner of the Other Documents, will share these with us in time

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X