hitler photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hitler photos

Ive been offered these from vets family who said their dad brought these back. Does anything stand out that looks like a reprint and not original? thanks! would $150 for the lot be too much?
    Attached Files

Those look pretty impressive. The only one that seems vaguely familiar is the 2nd from the bottom on the left side - is that Marshal Mannerheim he's meeting? (I'm not saying that it's a reprint - just maybe that event was commonly photographed).

Comment

Originally posted by smershagent View Post
      Those look pretty impressive. The only one that seems vaguely familiar is the 2nd from the bottom on the left side - is that Marshal Mannerheim he's meeting? (I'm not saying that it's a reprint - just maybe that event was commonly photographed).
      THANKS! for $150 should I snag them?

Comment

That does look like Baron Mannerheim, Marshal of Finland, and it appears to be a record of a particularly historic meeting. Here's what the internet offers:

"Adolf Hitler decided to visit Finland on 4 June 1942, ostensibly to congratulate Mannerheim on his 75th birthday. But Mannerheim did not want to meet him in his headquarters in Mikkeli or in Helsinki, as it would have seemed like an official state visit. The meeting took place near Imatra, in south-eastern Finland, and was arranged in secrecy.

"From Immola Airfield, Hitler, accompanied by President Ryti, was driven to the place where Mannerheim was waiting at a railway siding. After a speech from Hitler, and following a birthday meal and negotiations between him and Mannerheim, Hitler returned to Germany. President Ryti and other high-ranking Finns and Germans were also present. Hitler spent about five hours in Finland. Hitler reportedly intended to ask the Finns to step up military operations against the Soviets, but he apparently made no specific demands.

"During the visit, an engineer of the Finnish broadcasting company YLE, Thor Damen, succeeded in recording the first 11 minutes of Hitler's and Mannerheim's private conversation. This had to be done secretly, as Hitler never allowed others to record him off-guard. Damen was given the assignment to record the official birthday speeches and Mannerheim's responses and following those orders added microphones to certain railway cars. Unfortunately, Mannerheim and his guests chose to go to a car that didn't have a microphone in it. Damen acted quickly, pushing a microphone through one of the car windows to a netshelf just above were Hitler and Mannerheim were sitting. After 11 minutes of Hitler's and Mannerheim's private conversation, Hitler's SS bodyguards spotted the cords coming out of the window and realized that the Finnish engineer was recording the conversation. They gestured to him to stop recording immediately, and he complied. The SS bodyguards demanded that the tape be immediately destroyed, but YLE was allowed to keep the reel, after promising to keep it in a sealed container. It was given to the head of the state censors' office Kustaa Vilkuna and in 1957 returned to YLE. It was made available to the public a few years later. It is the only known recording of Hitler speaking in an unofficial tone."

I would think that $150 for the lot of photos would be appropriate. Best of luck,

Br. James

Comment

Thanks for the background; I had a feeling those shots might have been from that meeting.

If I had the money and felt like the seller was on the up and up, I'd probably go for it too.

Comment

If those are original candid photos of Hitler $150 is a bargain for the group. Candid pics of AH routinely sell for $75 - $100 each on the websites.

Comment

thanks for all the help! Im going to try and snag them right now. They have a p38 I would like as well
              thanks!

Comment

Great story, and terrific snag Chris.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X