Minesweeper doc for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minesweeper doc for review

Heres a DINA4 doc I just got in today,,could use help IDing the signer on this one
    thanks
    Greg
    Attached Files

Greg, pics could be better but the signature is Konteradmiral Hans Stohwasser, FdM Nord 10.08.40 - 13.10.40. Received rank of Konteradmiral 01.02.40.

Richard

Comment

Hi Richard,,,Yeah your right ,need to learn how to use new camera I got last year,,Im still using old one,,and cant always get as clear as I would like,,I guess its time to bust out the 1500 camera,,,theres so many buttons to push Im telling you,,lol again thanks so much for the IDing,,your great
      Thanks
      Greg Scotto

Comment

Compare it to this one. The actual style is different but that isn't necessarily a bad sign. Even though the date is the same, it doesn't always reflect when the award was typed up.
        Attached Files
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Just pulling up this old thread for an observation and a question. Here's another certificate of the same type as Greg's and the same date and signature as both Greg's and Simon's. All three have the same stamp which reads "Führer der Minensuchverbände Ost".

But my understanding from this link:
          http://www.axishistory.com/books/366...-ost-f-d-m-ost
          is that the Minensuchverbände Ost wasn't formed until March 12, 1942 out of the Führer der Minensuchboote Nord?

Stohwasser's title was "Führer der Minensuchboote Nord" not "Führer der Minensuchverbände Nord". It seems the term "verbände" came later?

So I'm very confused. Were the terms "Minensuchverbände" and "Minensuchboote" used very loosely and interchangably early on?

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Norm F; 05-31-2015, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Here's the same type of document but dated in December when Kapitän zur See Kurt Böhmer was the "Führer der Minensuchboote Nord". Again there's the same stamp reading "Führer der Minensuchverbände Ost". Very confusing terminology.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Another signed by Stohwasser from a few months earlier in Wilhelmshaven. Same unit stamp. The bizarre thing about this is the date is before the Minesweeper Badge was even announced by Raeder on August 31, 1940!

Could these all have been awarded much later and just back-dated to when the sailor met the qualifications in retrospect?

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Norm F; 05-31-2015, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
              X