Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting signed photos in frames.

Hello experts on paper an photo-items.

I recently acquired two signed studio photos (postcards to be correct) that I wish to display. I have two nice period silver frames with glass covers I thought I'd use. Just to make sure though; Can I damage the autographs by having them against the glass? They both come from the same source. A woman who apparently wrote different dignitaries during the time asking for autographs. They are in the original envelopes now with letters/replies and are fine. Doubt they ever left them. Just want to be sure that there is no crazy reaction between ink and glass. Naturally they will be kept out of direct sunlight.

Over time even indirect light can cause ink to fade. There's special glass that protects photos from UV light but it's much pricier than normal glass. It's also possible for moisture to build up inside the glass due to humid conditions, which could cause the ink to run.
    I'm sure there's others on this forum with much greater expertise than I, so let's wait to hear from them.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
      Over time even indirect light can cause ink to fade. There's special glass that protects photos from UV light but it's much pricier than normal glass. It's also possible for moisture to build up inside the glass due to humid conditions, which could cause the ink to run.
      I'm sure there's others on this forum with much greater expertise than I, so let's wait to hear from them.

Jason
      Thanks for a first heads up. When it comes to moisture do you think it might be good to have some "breathing holes" on the back rather than a solid back? I'll look into those special uv-light protection glasses.

Comment

Breathing holes would let moisture in and out, so maybe not a good idea. The main problem would be if the ink signature was pressed directly against the glass, that's when moisture would affect it. However, if there was an air gap between the photo and glass (a couple of mm), then this could be minimised.

Comment

Unless you are going to use a quality non-reflective glass, have the photo studio mounted in such a fashion as to not damage the photograph in any way, I would recommend that you store them in acid free PVC sleeves, stored within binders in a dry environment.

Displaying period signatures in frames can be a nightmare if sunlight and humidity are not controlled.

Just my 2p.

(Do you plan on posting the signed photographs here for all to see at all?)

Regards Richard.
          Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

You could also scan both photos and print them on photo paper(glossy), displaying the duplicates but keep the originals in an album.

I do this with postcards that i have, you do not notice the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by IchHattEinenKameraden View Post
              You could also scan both photos and print them on photo paper(glossy), displaying the duplicates but keep the originals in an album.

I do this with postcards that i have, you do not notice the difference.
              This is an option, but satin finish photo paper is preferable to glossy as it does not reflect as much.
              There is no problem with framing originals as long as you take certain steps to protect the image and ink.
              Security is of course an important consideration.
              Keep out of direct sunlight and direct synthetic light. Bright rooms are inadvisable for siting.
              Mount the original behind matting in order to keep the surface away from the glass. Non-reflective UV protected glass is preferable, but expensive.
              Keep away from a damp atmosphere wherever you site the picture.
              If you follow these basic guidelines, your pictures will last for many years and provide great enjoyment in addition to providing excellent talking points for visitors.
              Max.

Comment

Thank you everyone for you input. At first I was a bit confused about putting it behind a mat but soon realised thats what you call a passepartout. I will use that and opt for some larger frames.

To stgeorge64: I'm sure there will be a photo of the set-up once I'm done with it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X