Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uknown SS-Untersturmführer

Hello all,

Would it be possible to identify the SS-Untersturmführer, or at least a timeframe in which the photo might have been taken? Behind him are approx. 85 men of his unit, so he migt have been a Zugführer or Kompanieführer. Between the men might be one who was awarded the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold, but for that I would need to know which unit this is, which I think may be quite difficult. If anybody wants to see the rest of the photo, just ask.

With kind regards,

Koen.

Hello.

Notice the D on the collar and the cuff title, so Deutschland and I would say early war or just pre-war. They still wear the number on the collar and they don't have any combat decorations.

It would be interesting to see the whole photo.

Chris.

Comment

I think the time frame for this photo is roughly 1938-1939. The men don't have any decorations yet, as mentioned, yet are wearing Feldgrau, which replaced earlier black uniforms. The collar tabs were generally removed during the 1940 fighting. So there's a rather small window for when this moment was.

Comment

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies so far! Below is the whole photograph, with some close-ups.

With kind regards,

Koen.

Last edited by D_Dutch; 02-26-2011, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Very nice portrait!

Comment

Originally posted by JWL View Post
            Very nice portrait!
            Indeed, I was so glad when I finally had it. The photo is from a grouping of a SS-Oberscharführer who served in the Politische-Bereitschaft, SS-VT Standarte "Deutschland", SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment "Germania" and SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment "Westland", where he was a Zugführer in the 3. Kompanie.

He was also involved with the Sonderkommando in Stuttgart, but there is very little information about that.

Comment

The total shot is just awesome, thanks for posting the photograph.

Comment

The absence of any of the Anschluss Medaillen gives you a good timeframe indication as well. Great picture!

Yvo.

Comment

I have forgotten to mention, but one of the men on the group photo above wears a cufftitle with "Sanitäts-Abteilung", but he is wearing a Kragenpatte with "SS3" for as far as I can see.

Below are two photo's which might help, they are from the same grouping.

On the first photo you can see the two men wearing a Ärmelstreiffen with a numbered "12" on it. On their Kragenpatte you can see "SS1" on them. They both wear the SA-Sportabzeichen. What could the "12" on their Ärmelstreiffen mean? Any indication of date? I guess this would be somewhere in 1934?

The second photo is a really nice one in my opinion, clear shot of the helmets, and they seem to be wearing Schulterklappen with a "D" on it, which stands for SS-Standarte Deutschland, right?

Last edited by D_Dutch; 02-26-2011, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Dutch, excellent pic. Can you get a close-up of the guy in the civilian suit with the white-top hat? He is wearing some sort of armband which may provide a clue.
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                      Dutch, excellent pic. Can you get a close-up of the guy in the civilian suit with the white-top hat? He is wearing some sort of armband which may provide a clue.
                      You mean this person?

Comment

One of the friends of the SS-Oberscharführer to whom the grouping belonged was SS-Hauptscharführer Alfons Stegmaier, who destroyed nearly 30 tanks in 1943.

In Mr. Yerger's book "German Cross in Gold - Holders of the SS and Police" Volume 2, the fate of Stegmaier is unknown after the summer in 1944, but due to the fact that I have contact with his family I can say that he survived the war with a head injury, and died about 10 or 11 years ago.

Below is a photo of Alfons Stegmaier, far before being awarded the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold.

Comment

The civilian looks like the palace guide.
                          Max.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X