How rare is this medical SS document?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How rare is this medical SS document?

Here is a medical record of a soldier in the "Greek volunteer SS division". The inside of the document contains several pages with medical charts and are somewhat mundane. The first page (this scan) indicates the essentials. I just thought the fact this is from a Greek SS member would make this document somewhat rare. The reason for his hospital stay is that he was assaulted by "bandits" ( there are some doctor's notes on the inside of the document that refer to this). Opinions as to the rarity or any information on a Greek SS division would be most welcome.
    Regards,
    Richard

Hello
    Richard, the pic doesn't appear. Check your link.
    As for the Greek SS Div. I don't think that such a unit existed, in fact at the level of the division. If my memory serves me (don't have my books with me), in Lttlejohn's "Foreign Legions of the Third Reich" volume 3, a mention to Greece is made but as far as I remember, this was rather a small paramilitary militia rather than a structured unit incorporated in the WSS.
    Note that I do not question your documents since I have not been able to seen it, I am just saying that as far as I know, i don't remember having read that a Greek Division existed.
    No offence, I hope
    I look forward to seeing the doc
    Regards
    Denis

Comment

Well, i'm not sure either,i think some Greek volunteeres joined the Kaminsky Brigade
      Last edited by Chrvip68; 05-15-2002, 10:11 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Let me try with the pic once again.

Richard V

Comment

I've just checked Gordon's book: The SS: Hitler's Instument of Terror, and in the foreign legions chapter extensive listings of most non-German ss units is made. There is no mention of a specific Greek unit, however he may have joined a similar unit.

Try to ask Gordon Williamson.

Cheers

Graeme

Comment

About all I can add is that the top of the document has 12 Armeekorps (don't know if this refers to the Greek guys Korps or the hospitals). The location was listed as Saloniki on June 11, 1944. The picture really doesn't give much detail.
            Richard V

Comment

> The inside of the document contains several pages with medical
              > charts and are somewhat mundane.

Would you perhaps be able to post an example of one of these? I am very interested in the history of medical documentation and am curious what the German military documentation looked like - I have never seen any examples of it.

Many thanks,
              Andy W.

Comment

Whil'st the existence of a Greek SS division has been put to rest,this chap may have belonged to an independant SS formation(of which there were many-batallion size and under).
                The only real way to check would be to consult the Wehrmacht order of battle for this theatre.
                Regards:Andrew:o

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X