Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitler Bookplate look OK

Hi all

Does this Hitler bookplate look alright? Are they making reproductions?

Thanks
    Charlie

Does any one know if they are making reproductions?

Thanks
    Charlie

Comment

Any one have one that I can compare against?

Thanks
      Charlie

Comment

Yes, this bookplate looks good as compared with that found on p.100 of "Hitler's Private Library: The Books that Shaped His Life" by Timothy W. Ryback; published by Alfred A. Knopf, New York, 2008 -- but I hasten to add that in this day and age of photographic reproduction, it is often very hard to discern a faked piece from an original. Bookplates from Hitler's libraries -- and each of his residences, offices and field headquarters included a library, as did his private train -- have been on the market for many decades, both genuine and faked. Given that Hitler received countless numbers of books as gifts for his birthdays and other special events, the need for bookplates must have been great, and they have appeared in significant numbers in our hobby for many years. All of this should be taken into consideration when considering purchasing such a bookplate; indeed, if at all possible, some sense of historic provenance for each piece would enhance the value as original of such an artifact.

I hope these comments are helpful. Best of luck,

Br. James

Comment

Br. James

Thanks for the help..

Charlie

Comment

Be careful, reproductions have been available for at least 20 years from Nicholas Morigi for £16.95, framed.
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X