MilitaryStockholm

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

broken sherman tank on German photopaper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken sherman tank on German photopaper?

Hi Gents,

A wile ago I bought some Wiking documents from the wife of a vet.

There was also this intresting Sherman picture with it. The Sherman looks like the turret is broken/damaged? And some kind of colour is over it.

It also looks like there is a maker on the back.

I like to hear your opinion about it.

Thanks in advanced Mike

Is there nobody with an opinion about this picture?

Comment

Hi Mike....well, it appears its an early model Sherman thats been around the block a few times based on the wear on the rubber track pads. She's also had the uparmor modification which added the armor plates to the outside of the hull over the ammo storage points. It most likely took a hit from the rear or opposite side which caused enough of an internal disruption that it dislodged the turret from the ring gear raceway. Too bad the name stencilled on the side isn't readable. The stencilling forward of the name is the vehicle dimentions. Height, length, width and weight. this was standard proceedure when loading for invasions since it helped the Naval personnel decide where to spot each vehicle in the landing craft based on the info visable. This enabled them to calculate for space available and trim of the craft. A very neat picture.....thanks for posting it.

Hope this helped.......best, rich

sorry...i just re-read your post and see you're looking for info on the picture itself....can't help there...sorry

Comment

I heard the usage of captured German photopaper, films and photo-chemicals was very common in the final stage of the war and in the early postwar time. Especially GIs who did belong to the U.S. Army of Occupation used German facilities.

Regards
        Guenter

Comment

Taken long after any battle me thinks?

There is no MG in the forward position and it is very 'clean' if it was hit in would be rare for this model not to brew-up.

Perhaps it is post-war training item or one that was filed striped for parts then left for someone else to clean up further down the line??

Comment

Sherman m4

Here is what I know about this one.

On 4th october 1944 7th Armoured was engaged in a battle at a small village called Overloon in Holland not far from Eindhoven. This tank was knocked out by two german guns. Two hits left front by a 75mm and one hit just beneath the turret by an 88mm. The whole crew (5) was killed and are now buried at the American cemetery at Henri-Chapelle in Belgium.

This tank was left on the battlefield and together with other vehicles and equipment now form a great war museum at Overloon (do a search on this forum).
            Here is a picture of the tank I took in 2004.
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

and last, the inside showing the gun - imagine what when on in here when the crew perished; may they rest in peace.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info and the nice pictures of the tank.
                  A little back ground info is allways welcome.

I have tryed to read the mark on the back of the picture and it look likes
                  vodax or something like that. So say it is German and used by the Allied forces
                  are there more picture known? I collect Wiking documents and pictures for a long time now and this picture was a compleet mistery for me.

So again thanks for all the info!

All the best Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X