Problems with scanning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waffe View Post
    The "pixel effect" you are referring to is known as a "Moire Pattern", and is especially noticable when scanning an image in a book that was printed with a "halftone" dot pattern. The scanner produces an image that is also comprised of small dots (pixels), and if not aligned properly (by no fault of your own), they can produce geometric patterns over top of the image. I have found that by re-sizing the image in a scale that is not directly proportional (for instance, do not use 150% or 200%, but something in between, like 133% or 167%) and the patterns will, for the most part, disappear.

Regards,

Kent G.
    Nice explanation of the moiré effect and how to deal with it but that's not what's happening here. The original photo is printed on textured paper, kind of a honeycomb pattern, that is made worse by the light used in a scanner.

Comment

Yes, I've been told that Honeycomb is the official term for this kind of photo paper.

Comment

That was why I mentioned scanning at an angle. Try scanning at a number of different angles, at increments of 5-10 degrees.
        If all else fails and you have a number of these you could think about investing in one of the Photoshop plug-ins.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X