Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo -uniform ID request

Hi,
    I have this postcard size photo (purchased at a flea market in Germany about 10 years ago) of what appears to be an NSKK officer wearing a wehrmacht helmet, also there are some writing on the back concerning his date of death but I cannot locate any details. Any information would be greatly appreicated.
    Cheers,
    Rick
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ravrick; 12-27-2010, 06:32 AM.

Given the date of his death i'd assume it was either natural causes or an accident. That might explain him not being in a war grave.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
      Given the date of his death i'd assume it was either natural causes or an accident. That might explain him not being in a war grave.
      No; gefallen (= lit. fallen) specifically means "killed in action". München (= Munich) was not the place of his death, but appareantly his home; he was killed on the Western Front.

The text says:

"Fallen on 7 February 40
      in the West
      Karl Eisenmann
      Munich"

Comment

Thanks Guys,
        any ideas what rank he was?
        Rick

Comment

Hi
          he was Hauptsturmführer
          Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post
            No; gefallen (= lit. fallen) specifically means "killed in action". München (= Munich) was not the place of his death, but appareantly his home; he was killed on the Western Front.

The text says:

"Fallen on 7 February 40
            in the West
            Karl Eisenmann
            Munich"

Yes, i know what gefallen means but it doesn't necessarily mean he was literally killed in action, nor does it mean that using this particular term was correct, as opposed to verstorben for example. It's difficult to think of what enemy action an NSKK officer (ie. rear area) died from in Germany along the westwall in february 1940.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Sorry, but I really see no reason to simply assume that the term "gefallen" was used in error.
              While this period is known as the "phoney war" or "Sitzkrieg", not everything was all quiet along the Western Front in February 1940. There were a number of instances of scouting-party engagements, local raids, artillery fire and aerial missions.
              Eisenmann may well have had the bad luck of becoming caught up in one of those while engaged in auxiliary transport activities for the armed forces.

Comment

And there's no reason to assume he was and i don't see the term as being used in 'error' If he died whilst in service it's natural i think the family would use that term.

In any case he's not buried in a war grave so i guess his body was either sent home for family burial or he's buried in a regular cemetery.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
                  In any case he's not buried in a war grave so i guess his body was either sent home for family burial or he's buried in a regular cemetery.
                  A common thing for many many KIA anyway.

Comment

In Germany certainly.

The point is, i wouldn't assume anything based on that one word. But it would be interesting to research.

Comment

Hi,
                      any ideas how I can progress with researching this man? Is there an NSKK list of casualties anywhere or somewhere I can write to?

Cheers,
                      Rick

Comment

Hi,
                        still looking for information on this one,
                        cheers,
                        Rick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X