Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kvk2 award doc. 98th Inf.Div.

Hi.

I have this award doc in my collection and I have been wondering about it. First of all I think this is the signature of L.General Martin Gareis?

I've also been wondering about the place and date of this awards doc. I guese F. Braun got this award in Krim after 98th have been fighting earlier in Kuban and Kerch.
    I got this award doc from Detlev N. So I guess it´s been in Germany. It says "Im Felde" does it mean that this guy manage to escape from Sevastopol when the Germans were evacuated in April/May 1944?

I don't know all about divisions in general. "Stab" Was he with the headquarters of 98th div. ?

Atleast if you guys have something to add- or correct me, please fire away
    Attached Files

'Im Felde' simply means the division was in the field. ie. not back at it's garrison base in Germany.

You're right, he was with the divisional staff headquarters. He might have been a driver, signaler, cook, clerk or something like that.

It was an immediate award so he must have done something in particular to merit it, rather than the more usually seen good service awards given out on 30 Jan, 20 Apr. and 1 Sept.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thank you Simon for your reply, I appreciate.

Was it common for troops on field to send these awards/document home in mail or did they carry the award/document (that they where given on field) all away to garrison base in Germany?

For intrest, here is L.General Martin Gareis who signed the document.

Thanks to Akira Takiguchi for picture
      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X