Are these SS photos known fakes....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
    Although I have not seen those images before (and I have seen a lot of SS-fotos), and the paper is original, I dont like those marekd areas - looks like fotos of fotos:
    good catch,

on the second mark I could see it as a gutter or something like that, the first mark is questionable.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by R MICHAEL View Post
      These types of questions are hard to answer from scans posted. It is easy to give an opinion that may be wrong and you lose out on some original SS photos or then again they could be right and you save yourself some money that could be better spent. Having the photos in hand is key in this situation. As for your question about these being known photos well I can't say that I have seen these exact images prior to your thread. That being said I will make a comment on what I do know. Notice the blackish marks on the backs of some of the photos. To me they are indicative of some kind of chemical treatment to possibly age the photos.
      I would have to have them in hand before I would spend any money on these.

Mike
      Why is is always such a gamble

Thanks for your input.

Alex

Comment

those little dark corners spell trouble.
        Probably developed from negatives on period paper, then chemically treated and aged. Professional fakes !

save your money.

Ian

www.colorwarphotos.com

Comment

I did pass....

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...520960285.html

Comment

122 euros is not the biggest kick but i would still pass on this questionable lot.
            Ian

Comment

who knows....maybe someone got lucky or someone threw some money out the window....as you said, 122 Euro is not too big of a loss...

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by USA-Alex View Post
                who knows....maybe someone got lucky or someone threw some money out the window....as you said, 122 Euro is not too big of a loss...

Alex
                I agree

Comment

Originally posted by R MICHAEL View Post
                  These types of questions are hard to answer from scans posted. It is easy to give an opinion that may be wrong and you lose out on some original SS photos or then again they could be right and you save yourself some money that could be better spent. Having the photos in hand is key in this situation. As for your question about these being known photos well I can't say that I have seen these exact images prior to your thread. That being said I will make a comment on what I do know. Notice the blackish marks on the backs of some of the photos. To me they are indicative of some kind of chemical treatment to possibly age the photos.
                  I would have to have them in hand before I would spend any money on these.

Mike

Apart from the fact that I totally agree with Mike, you done the best thing to pass on them, I don't have any good vibes...

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                    Although I have not seen those images before (and I have seen a lot of SS-fotos), and the paper is original, I dont like those marekd areas - looks like fotos of fotos:
                    I have blurry area like them on 100% pre-45 pictures, so, you might be right but this is not the rule.

Comment

Very hard to tell.
                      If anyone gets definitive conclusion, please post here.
                      Also, although those dark "wedges" of corners raise flags, they don't mean that they are post-war printed.
                      Jp

Comment

There were some interesting pictures in this lot, but nothing special... I believe the unit in question was part of the 1. SS Infanterie Brigade. Some pictures of Oberfuhrer Bertling but no other surprises. All are original though.

JWL B.

Comment

I see no problem(s) with the photographs.

Comment

Originally posted by HouweTrouwe View Post
                            I see no problem(s) with the photographs.
                            I agree.

Comment

Fake ss photos

I have a few 100% original WWII German photos with the dark wedges in the corners, and a couple pics that have blurred spots, so IMO, I don't think that is absolute proof that these photos are post-war fakes. It's a good reason to have some doubt about the photos, but handling the pics in person is probably the best way to determine authenticity. I would definitely get a money-back guarantee if I purchased them, just in case these pics are fakes.

Best regards,

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X