Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small group to fighter pilot and RKT Walter Matoni

Hello all,
    I would like to show a small group to fighter pilot and RKT Walter Matoni who served with various units including JG26 and JG2. Please see this link for a brief history of his career:

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/matoni.html

The first piece of paper shows Matoni signing up to serve in the Luftwaffe in 1939. Notice that he signed to serve for nine years and was due to end his service in 1948.
    Regards,
    Andy
    Attached Files

I next have a private portrait photgraph of Matoni from Easter 1942 when Matoni was serving with JG26. On the reverse it is annoted by Walter to his mother. The annotation is the photo on the left.
    Attached Files

Comment

The next document a Kriegsstammrolle, has Matoni transferring from JG26 to serve as an instructor with Jagdgruppe West at the end of 1942.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Andy F-P; 12-13-2010, 04:11 PM.

Comment

The last photo shows Matoni serving as Gruppenkommandeur of I./JG2 in November 1944 when the unit were based at Merzhausen. The right left of his flying trousers have been patched up and he wears the DKiG. This photo was taken a couple of months before he was awarded the RK for thirty four aerial victories in the west. The strains of many battles are etched on his face. He was seriously injured in December 1944 and did not take part in the final months of the war.

The annotation to his family is on the photo on the right.

I hope this presentation is of interest to someone.
        Regards,
        Andy
        Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting, thanks for posting. The photographs are poignant.

Comment

Thanks Andy, Very nice pictures & documents !
            Fredo

Comment

I love the docs and photos Andy.
              The last photo in the forest is a real blaster ! SUPER

Ian.
              www.colorwarphotos.com

Comment

Matoni

Very nice grouping Andy,

Thanks for showing.

Jeremy

Comment

Thank-you all for the positive comments.
                  Regards,
                  Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,

You do know that I like your little grouping very much !

That late war photo of your man is a real eye-catcher !

Addi Glunz did wear the same type of black leather uniform.

Thanks for showing.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

Very nice grouping..That last photo is killer!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy F-P View Post
                        The last photo shows Matoni serving as Gruppenkommandeur of I./JG2 in November 1944 when the unit were based at Merzhausen. The right left of his flying trousers have been patched up and he wears the DKiG. This photo was taken a couple of months before he was awarded the RK for thirty four aerial victories in the west. The strains of many battles are etched on his face. He was seriously injured in December 1944 and did not take part in the final months of the war.

The annotation to his family is on the photo on the right.

I hope this presentation is of interest to someone.
                        Regards,
                        Andy
                        Great pic Andy!
                        Thank you for showing it!

Comment

Great stuff Andy....a friend of mine also has a very nice (small) selection of original Matoni paper, but as a 'silent' type of collector, he has (unfortunately) chosen not to post that material here on the WAF....

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

Hundestaffel (T) - That is his prerogative but do you know from what period of Matoni's career do they date? I was told that 'my' documents were sold by Walter's brother when he died in 1988. The photo's definitely seem like they have been taken from a family photo album. I also have another large portrait photo of Matoni in the group, taken after he was awarded the RK in early 1945 ,but this has been published numerous times beforehand. That one is still attached to a page of the album and one of the photo's reproduced below was ripped from the other side of this page.

EJ - There is a good photo of Glunz and Matoni walking together in February 1944 at Cambrai-Epinoy airfield in Caldwell's volume two of his JG26 War Diary, page 211, with them both wearing thie same type of flying kit. They both served as comrades in 5./JG26 and, who knows, may have got them at this time.

Thank you to everyone else for their comments.
                            Regards,
                            Andy

Comment

Andy:

It's been quite a few years since I have seen them, but if I remember correctly, various documents pertained to Matoni's transfer to JG 26.

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X