Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grossdeutschland Document Grouping

For your review:

A 5 piece Document grouping from a Soldier who served in the 5.(Pz.)/ Gren. Rgt. "Grossdeutschland", Willi Gebauer.

Document #1 - Deutsches Reich Kennkarte

Issued in Breslau, 7 Mai 1940

A standard Oil Cloth document with the young Gebauer photographed in civilian clothes. Of special interest is what I believe to be a Golden HJ Pin in wear on his left jacket lapel. I attached several photos for your inspection.

Document #2 - OSTMEDAILLE

Awarded: 19.8.1942

A relatively nice condition document with what appears to be slight coffee or tea stains on it. This document bears the signature of Oberstleutnant und Kommandant des Fuhrer-Hauptquartiers GUSTAV STREVE.

STREVE ended the war with the rank of Oberst. He was a colorful officer who earned the EK1 in World War 1 as well as the 1915 Campaign Star amongst other decorations.

HAUPTMANN GUSTAV STREVE circa 1938

This Western Front Medal document has Streve's signature in his favorite color of blue ink. There is the hand stamp of the Fuhrer-Hauptquartiers on the document's lower left corner.

Document #3 -Wehrmacht-Fuhrerschein

Awarded: 15.8.1941

This oil cloth Wehrmacht-Fuhrerschein places the young Gebauer in the
    1./Pz.Ers.Abt.15 He is permitted to operate Class 2 vehicles.

I cannot read this form of Sutterlin script so if anyone can help me interpret the specific information below it would be greatly appreciated!

This Fuhereschein has an added center page of green color signed by a different Hauptmann dated 30.12.1943, I would ask for the interpretation of this page as well, Thank you!

The center page of this Fuhrerschein has a wonderful photo of the young Gebauer wearing a very tidy M-43 pattern Herr tunic and his signature is below the photo!

The back of the last page of this document shows some very interesting transfers as well as an additional Hauptmann's signature.

Document #4 -EISERNE KREUZ 2. KLASSE

Awarded: 20.Marz.1944

A spectacular document placing the young Gebauer in the
    5.(Pz)/Gren.Rgt. "Grossdeutschland".

This document is signed by Albert Henze, then the Oberst mit der Fuhrung der Panz. Gren. Div. Feldherrnhalle beuftragt.

Henze was an Eichenlaubtrager and finished the war with the rank of Generalleutnant. Henze earned the Ritterkreuz on 15.01.1944 for actions in and around Kirowograd, Ukraine on or about Dezember 1943. He earned the Oakleaves on 21.01.1945 while commander of the Feldherrnhalle as Generalmajor.

This document bears Henze's signature in purple pencil. In the lower left corner of this document is the hand stamp of the Panz. Gren. Div. Feldherrnhalle!

Document #5 -CERTIFICATE of DISCHARGE

This well used Discharge Document is the final document in this grouping. Herr Gebauer was taken captive, processed, and then released into what was left of his once beautiful country by the United States Army.

I tried in vain to contact Herr Gebauer or any of his family members in an attempt to return this document grouping it to them. Herr Gebauer was a young man and I thought it was possible to locate him with the information contained in his Discharge Certificate but I had no luck.

The Ost Medal and the EK2 documents are featured/photographed in the new 3 book series of the Grossdeutschland Division. I do not own the series but have been told they are in there. If anyone has this series please let me know.

I hope you have enjoyed looking at this wonderful grouping and I appreciate your help filling in the gaps and intrepreting some German.

Thank you & Happy Holidays,
    Vince Leone

Last edited by old siagon; 11-19-2010, 11:37 PM.

Nice little set. As the Ost Medal citation is signed by Streve I think this soldier served in the 4(Pz) Kompanie of the Fuhrer-Begleit Btl which was a sister unit of GD. The 4(Pz) was renamed 5(Pz). I have a set to a tank commander of the 4/5(Pz) FBB and the Ost citation is also signed by Streve.
    In September 1941 a Kampfgruppe (KG Nehring) made up of units from the Fuhrer-Begleit Btl (including 4(Pz) Kompanie) were sent to the front and were comitted to action as the Soviets launched their winter counter-offensive.

I think the entry of Gren Rgt GD on the EK citation is a mistake by whoever was tasked to enter the details, which wasn't surprising as the members of FBB wore GD insignia. I'd say that it was awarded for actions taken while fighting along the Narew River in the area of Army Group North. Parts of FBB, including the renamed 5(Pz) Kompanie, were formed into Kampfgruppe Boehrend and sent to the front in February 1944 and placed in the line between Feldherrnhalle & the 61 Infantry Division. After heavy combat and a brief rest it was assigned to Kampfgruppe Strachwitz in March/April 1944 and fought to clear the Soviets from the area south of Auvre.

Source: Uniforms & Insignia Of The Grossdeutschland Division Vol 3 by Scott Pritchett.
    Last edited by hucks216; 11-20-2010, 04:48 AM. Reason: Extra Information.

Comment

As for them appearing in the GD Volumes, they do not feature in the section of the FBB but I will have a good look through the volumes and get back to you as there are pieces of paperwork throughout the whole series.

EDIT: So far I have been able to find the image of Streve's signature that belongs to your Ost Medal citation in the GD & Related signature examples section. Although the whole citation isn't shown in the section it is definitely the same as the stain is also shown just to the top right of the signature.
      Last edited by hucks216; 11-20-2010, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Nice Grouping, Especially like the link to FHH. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very nice group and for those casualities I had obtained last month another group to this unit.

See the link below and maybe we can fill some gaps into the career of this two soldiers that, who knows, maybe knew each other.

Angel

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=471129
          Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Nice grouping!
            He is wearing a M40 tunic in the Wehrmacht-Führerschein photo
            I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
            Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
            My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Originally posted by sftrooper86 View Post
              This document bears the signature of Oberstleutnant und Kommandant des Fuhrer-Hauptquartiers GUSTAV STREVE.

STREVE ended the war with the rank of Oberst. He was a colorful officer who earned the EK1 in World War 1 as well as the 1915 Campaign Star amongst other decorations.

Coincidentally, I posted an extremely rare Führerhauptquartier-Kommandant Sonderausweis to a SS Officer a few days ago which is also hand signed by Gustav Streve:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=474856

Rob

Comment

Here are the 3 citations in my collection to the tank commander in the same Kompanie. The Ost medal citation has the same date as the one in the original post...
                Attached Files

Comment

The Wound Badge citation while part of Kampfgruppe Pohlmann. The Feldpost Number of 42918 =
                  (28.2.1941-29.7.1941) 4. Panzer-Kompanie Führerhauptquartier,
                  (1.3.1942-7.9.1942) 5. (Panzer) Schützen-Kompanie Führer-Begleit-Bataillon,
                  (12.3.1943-7.9.1943) 5. (Panzer) Kompanie Führer-Grenadier-Bataillon,
                  (23.4.1944-24.11.1944) 22.7.1944 5. (Panzer) Kompanie Führer-Grenadier-Brigade,
                  am 18.10.1944 5. (Panzer) Kompanie Führer-Begleit-Regiment ,
                  (25.11.1944-8.5.1945) 20.12.1944 5. Panzer-Kompanie Führer-Begleit-Brigade.
                  Attached Files

Comment

History Lesson!

Hello,

What a great historical lesson! You must be an expert on the GD & FBB units to know all this detailed information. Thank you!

Do you have the 3 volume set on the history of the GD? These documents were supposed to be displayed in Volume three, if I remember correctly. If you have them would you please drop me a line.

Many thanks & Happy Holidays,
                    Vince Leone & Family

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
                    Nice little set. As the Ost Medal citation is signed by Streve I think this soldier served in the 4(Pz) Kompanie of the Fuhrer-Begleit Btl which was a sister unit of GD. The 4(Pz) was renamed 5(Pz). I have a set to a tank commander of the 4/5(Pz) FBB and the Ost citation is also signed by Streve.
                    In September 1941 a Kampfgruppe (KG Nehring) made up of units from the Fuhrer-Begleit Btl (including 4(Pz) Kompanie) were sent to the front and were comitted to action as the Soviets launched their winter counter-offensive.

I think the entry of Gren Rgt GD on the EK citation is a mistake by whoever was tasked to enter the details, which wasn't surprising as the members of FBB wore GD insignia. I'd say that it was awarded for actions taken while fighting along the Narew River in the area of Army Group North. Parts of FBB, including the renamed 5(Pz) Kompanie, were formed into Kampfgruppe Boehrend and sent to the front in February 1944 and placed in the line between Feldherrnhalle & the 61 Infantry Division. After heavy combat and a brief rest it was assigned to Kampfgruppe Strachwitz in March/April 1944 and fought to clear the Soviets from the area south of Auvre.

Source: Uniforms & Insignia Of The Grossdeutschland Division Vol 3 by Scott Pritchett.

Comment

Originally posted by sftrooper86 View Post
                      Hello,

.....You must be an expert on the GD & FBB units to know all this detailed information....
                      Thank you but I am very far from being an expert. I just have all the relevant books to look up the information.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X