Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tornister's on period photos

Hi guys

It seems that Tornisters (the basic German back pack with cow hair on it) are one of the most easy items of german equipment for colelctors to find; yet, it seems to me that it is very rare to see them on period photos, particularly on later war photos.
    Is it just me who has been looking at the wrong photos, or do others agree? What would the reason or this be?
    Can some of you post a few late war photos showing the Tornister in use?

JL

As far as im aware the tornisters were often transported seperately when troops were in combat zones - probably by horse/cart if infantry troops. If you look at Panzer Grenadier photographs they can often be seen hanging off the side of vehicles.

Comment

Like PIW says, the Tornisters, backpacks, greatcoats, blankets, etc. got carried by the zug trupp mostly.
      But for example when soldiers move in a train or indivualy to another unit they got all their kit on themselfs.
      I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
      Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
      My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Yes, that seems like the reason.
        Does anybody have late war photos in a combat environment where the rucksacks are in wear?

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X