Six pioneer companies. I want information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From page 498 of my book.

The battalion's men bury their earlier commander, Knight's Cross winner Oberstleutnat Paul Velke, in Oblivskaya, 30 July 1942.
    - - -
    Attached Files

Comment

I don't have much about the actions of Pi.Btl.45 at the Loire but here is a direct quote (page 491):

The battalion crossed the Somme at Abbeville. During the battles between the Somme and the Seine the battalion was thrown into burning Rouen, where it saved the world-famous cathedral from destruction. Then, as an advanced guard, it rolled onto the Loire at Nantes where it secured the bridges. Upriver from Nantes the battalion built the longest pontoon bridge of the campaign using the equipment of 14 bridging columns. This bridge over the Loire had a total length of 375 metres.
      I have several groupings to soldiers from Pi.Btl.45, so I will see if I can find any more photos of the Loire bridge. I have many more photos of Velke being buried but I won't post any more of them as that is not your interest.

Hope I've been of some help.

Jason

Comment

I have read Jason's book, ISLAND OF FIRE, twice now, it is a wealth of information and one of the best on a great subject.

I have been collecting information off and on for my book, ARMORED ENGINEERS: THE STORY OF PANZER-PIONIER-BATAILLON 16, for at least 10 years. It takes a long time and a lot of research.
        Steve

Comment

Oh my god, it's just amasing! really!

Have you information about the city of Ancenis, the unit, the attak, the occupation and battle near this city between 1940 and 1944.

MAny Many THANKS!

that will be on my book

Comment

Wanted, Available.

Comment

Velke brucke !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X