No announcement yet.

WAF Member who runs a site for posting other peoples pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was not pointed out originally that he was also selling copyrighted material, ie. DVDs and scanned books.
    I haven't trawled through that site to see if he is also offering scanned photos for sale but there's no need as the above is enough.

That changes things completely and the situation was dealt with a couple of days ago.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi View Post
      I also don't like when people say "so I don't post any more". OK, I understand your position but then, why not disappear from here completely? Some have. They're consistent. Accept the reality and enjoy talking about photos through sharing, or silence. If you want to be part of here and if you have something to post, do it.
      I do what I'd like to, since I've always paid my subscription promptly, and I'm free to decide by myself what's is good or not for me and for my photo-collection and when stay or not in silence.
      Last edited by PBR; 10-10-2010, 05:35 AM.

Comment

The only answer is to watermark photos before posting them on line. We know that often ruins the image so I usually offer the uncensored image privately to those "scholars' who are serious collectors. I'd bet that even watermarks could be photo shop eliminated if an image thief was so inclined.

Comment

Better imo to use low res images and crop them slightly.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
            I'd bet that even watermarks could be photo shop eliminated if an image thief was so inclined.
            I always put my watermarks across features in the photo that are difficult, if not impossible, to retouch, such as tank tracks, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
              I always put my watermarks across features in the photo that are difficult, if not impossible, to retouch, such as tank tracks, etc.
              Watermarks can be removed by those with the right skills.
              Low res scans and cropping as mentioned earlier are better options.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
                from the thread mentioned by Simon regards using limited parts of copyrighted material:

for commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching or scholarship

To replicate and sell for personal profit, financial or otherwise, without permission of the copyright holder isn't there. I doubt any judge who is awake would consider the type of perpetrators under discussion here to be news reporters, researchers, or teachers.
                I still haven't been able to figure out how he is profiting from these pics ,, And in any case, they are not copyrighted.
                Apparently he is offering DVD's and scanned E-books, which is clearly illegal - But the pics ?
                Please clarify what you are referring to here.
                If its the pics, I'd like to know how he is profiting.

Comment

Profiting has no issue with this (well for a certain law it matters, but international copyright treaty it doesn't). If this is a copyright matter, it matters only when the copyright holder has issue with it (and it is NOT).

Law is not designed to tell from a good author from a bad author. Therefore, an author, whether he is a top author like Mark or a crappy author whose books full of errors, it is not a problem for the copyright law.

Therefore, when you are posting an image to describe something to answer a question, it is perfectly legal whether you're a famous author or just another John Smith. No worries! But as I wrote earlier, why not send an email to the owner with a thank you, it is just some typestroke away!

Comment

I agree Akira - Morally & ethically, requesting permission/giving credits is the right thing to do.

The waters are becoming muddied here however, by people saying actual laws are being broken by this person downloading pics, and posting them on his blog ,,, And further confused by saying he is profiting from this.
                    Now we have an element of downloaded movies & books, which really have nothing to do with the pic issue, but are being lumped into the general topic.
                    I would like for the people making these claims [that he is profiting from the pics] to simply back up their contentions, and I will glady concede their point if they point it out and prove it.

Comment

Damn, today I discovered that he also uses my photo's without asking permission!
                      Also, he also uses photo's from the Feldgrau forum.

Comment

Originally posted by PzV View Post
                        unfortunately this means we will have to watermark even more to halt this practice. I was also very unhappy to see a large number of my photos abused. Is there any way to revoke this persons WAF membership???
                        this is why I have started putting watermarks on all of my pics now, as I have also used pics that I posted on WAF or on my website used elsewhere ... Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Necropost:

He has stolen two photos which I took posted on his blog recently.
                          Seems like he doesn't even bother to reply to my messages......
                          I don't want this images to be shown in his blog.

Comment

he steals not only pics but our work as well:
                            http://alifrafikkhan.blogspot.de/201...-division.html

To find out all the infos was a lot of work for me (and others).
                            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=684776

As written it seems the only chance is not to post anything anymore.

Comment

Just give me the Feeling to be a sad neo-nazi Site, without Interest for any Advanced Collector.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X