WAF Member who runs a site for posting other peoples pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T.K. View Post
    once the image is uploaded on the net: there's NO way to produce evidence that you are the only owner of such picture,
    Follow the link to that guy's site you will see he posts other peoples pictures which include their copyright watermark stamped on them

ie

PK Collection
    askold
    Tommy
    Westmoreland resarch
    rmh collection
    thomas hesse collection
    Tim lewis collection
    Bill Petz Collection
    PZV
    Mousey
    Vincent Siegers
    Vincent.S
    Bill Bourque
    Larrister
    Gylsen etc,

There is no question - this guy does not own the copyright of the pictures he hosts on his site.

Comment

Helden, TK is quite right. As i tried to explain to you earlier just because you own a print it does not mean you own the copyright to the image.

I would suggest you don't own the copyright to most if not all of the images you have because you didn't take them. All you own is the print itself. As i understand it you are thus not, in theory, entitled to make copies of that print, which i would assume includes scanning. So by scanning and posting the image in the first place are you the one breaking copyright???

a real minefield
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
        a real minefield
        No it is not. Pictures I take with my digital camera are mine, I own the copyright.

If there are any WW2 era photo albums where the original 1939-1945 era photographer steps forward 70 yrs later I will gladly assign him the copyright (& possibly hand him back the album too as well as ask a million and one questions)

Other than that extremely unlikely possibility there is no minefield here.

The likelihood of that occurring is so far beyond abstract as to be practically non -existent so this is hardly a 'minefield' in anything other than terms of abstract concievabilities. In terms of day to day reality - there is no minefield here. This guy certainly has no basis to claim ownership of digital photographs I take with my digital camera of WW2 era photo albums which I have legitimately purchased.

This guy has in the past asked for permission to post other peoples pictures - this was the last time that I can see he asked (he was refused) :

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...30771&start=60

thesedays he just simply does not ask & trawls WAF for members pictures which he cross posts to other forums and primarily on his blog/site.

Comment

I have come across threads on other forums using my images. In one case, like I think was mentioned here earlier, the guy did not win the photo on ebay like I did, he just went around saving the images and using however and whenever he saw fit.

Copyright or no copyright to the photos you own, no one should take your images without your permission to use for their own means.

I am currently trying to get assistance with scans for a project of mine I am working on and this very week someone mentioned to me they were very anxious about giving copies out as they did not know where they would end up. It makes his argument kind of valid now.

Comment

Originally posted by fknorr View Post
            I have come across threads on other forums using my images. In one case, like I think was mentioned here earlier, the guy did not win the photo on ebay like I did, he just went around saving the images and using however and whenever he saw fit.

Copyright or no copyright to the photos you own, no one should take your images without your permission to use for their own means.

I am currently trying to get assistance with scans for a project of mine I am working on and this very week someone mentioned to me they were very anxious about giving copies out as they did not know where they would end up. It makes his argument kind of valid now.
            Another effect of all of this is that if it is tolerated and allowed to continue it will get worse and worse and the net result is that legitimate collectors simply say '**** it' and stop posting original images completely. Or move to invitation only photo only forums where the rule will be strictly enforced. Either way if it is tolerated it will continue which is good news for this guy in the short term but bad news for this hobby in my opinion.

Comment

There's no way to stop this but stop posting pictures.
              There's no other solution.
              I've been around for quite a few years, and I can tell you that this won't stop, so, they won't be able to use my pictures since I don't post them anymore.

As simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by T.K. View Post
                There's no way to stop this but stop posting pictures.
                There's no other solution.
                I've been around for quite a few years, and I can tell you that this won't stop, so, they won't be able to use my pictures since I don't post them anymore.

As simple as that.
                With respect, the options here are not ;

a) stop this by not posting pictures
                b) do nothing

There is an option ;

c) expel this member & don't make it easy for them. File a DMCA report against his blog which is hosted by google.com which may result in it getting removed for violation of terms of use.

Comment

scum bag copys fotos

I collared him for running some of my fotos on a different forum (WITHOUT GIVING ME CREDIT), and his reponse was to make an anti-American remark (I guess he is a muslim, and you know what most muslims think about Americans) He is truly a scum-bag in my opinion - but you know what they say about opinions!

Comment

Originally posted by einsatz View Post
                    I collared him for running some of my fotos on a different forum (WITHOUT GIVING ME CREDIT), and his reponse was to make an anti-American remark (I guess he is a muslim, and you know what most muslims think about Americans) He is truly a scum-bag in my opinion - but you know what they say about opinions!
                    Can I ask - which site was he posting your pics on ?
                    Last edited by Mil-Archive; 10-07-2010, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Helden View Post
                      expel this member & don't make it easy for them. File a DMCA report against his blog which is hosted by google.com which may result in it getting removed for violation of terms of use.
                      Good luck then.

Comment

Make new rules??? (to restrict to no public use )

Make a rule that states that : ALL photos are for private use for research for members only in the privacy of their own homes only , but cannot be published , printed or offered for sale or used for building a site with in any way shape or form. Any use for any public postings must be requested in writing, and can be used only with approval of both the forum, and the person who originally posted the photo on the forum, and without both agreeing that it is alright, any use publicly anywhere is prohibited, and will be an immediate grounds , not only for perminant expulsion, but be subject to litigation for copyright infringement. Then have the server who provides the internet access of the offendee be notified to shut him down, then bann him from the forum, but i feel he should be banned now, as he is abusing others en masse..and also anyone who shills photos for his site for him even if banned to get past the rule in the future.
                        He obviously should come forward on the issue.
                        What language is he jibbering anyway on his site?

You could also have all photos hooked to"" big string,"(what you never heard of big string?)' and when he uses them in such an abusive way, make them disappear from his site ? Its time to change the rules fellows, or stop posting photos altogether, that's why i post very few photos. There also may be some software available from the server to encript all photos so they can be viewed on site , but not downloaded, as im sure there is new technologies created now for such instances . Ill leave that to SB, and to whether they want to broach the issue or not.(i'm not holding my breath )

Comment

I just got a PM from AlifRafikKhan saying that he has responded to my PM over on Axis history forum. I don't have the password to that forum at the moment so can't check till later.

However looking here :

http://alifrafikkhan.blogspot.com/20...ion-dalam.html

& my pictures have been taken down from his site which is good news for me.

I can still see Bill Petz's pics :

http://alifrafikkhan.blogspot.com/se...0Nazi%20Jerman

and also PZV pics:

http://alifrafikkhan.blogspot.com/20...ier-ss-ke.html

I know for a fact they are not happy about this either.

Everyone elses are still there too.

Asl I can't check the axis history pm so I don't know if mine were removed by google due to the DMCA notice or voluntarily removed by the user.

The pm from Alif apologises for using my pictures and agrees to remove them. I have asked him not to post my pics anywhere else in future.

I also got a reply from the DMCA notice legal team at google saying that the url mentioned appears to be down & asking was this still a problem. So I recommend other photo collectors using that DMCA link if you need to as they do read them and check them for copyright infringement.
                          Last edited by Mil-Archive; 10-07-2010, 01:33 PM.

Comment

The photo aspect of this hobby still has to be the least expensive to get into. I realize that some photos are a bit pricey, but you could have a very nice collection for "hundreds" of dollars, not thousands or tens of thousands....why people steal photos, I do not know.

Comment

I think we need to get away from the notion that downloading & reposting digital pics is stealing.
                              If we are going by legal definitions, certainly not.
                              In some circumstances, it may be marginally illegal to repost them ,,, But it would seem its not a very high priority item to enforce, unless it is a high profile case.

I think the subject in question here has a compulsion, and while I can readily understand the anger of those whos pics have been downloaded & reposted, there might well be another segment of folks who are glad he compiled and reposted them.
                              Too, I imagine there are pic owners who enjoy the widest distribution of their images possible.
                              After all, its not that tangible. Its not a medal or dagger, it is an interesting image frozen in time.

No software technology can stop this.
                              Watermarks are of limited use. You post pics, know in advance that they are now public domain, and are liable to be reposted elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesUS View Post
                                I think we need to get away from the notion that downloading & reposting digital pics is stealing.
                                As photo collectors - no we should not.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X