Stalingrad Then & Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice pictures

amazing that you found the exact locations of these photos!

Comment

Awesome ! great work Jason

Nick

Comment

I never get tired of looking at these "then and now" postings. Thanks a lot for all the viewing pleasure.
        Tim

Comment

Urban Myth; Yes and No

to DaveNZ;

Urban myth, thousands of buildings survived the battle, well … foundations; first/second floors and many were rebuilt or restored in their prewar style.

Here is some research and photos from my February 2010 trip to Volgograd (Stalingrad) of the area formerly known as the Park of the Paris Commune.

Stalingrad surviving stuctures expedition - Red October district (May 2008)

http://members.boardhost.com/staling...213313446.html

Russ

http://www.fireonthevolga.com

Comment

Just love it. Jacques

Comment

Stalingrad

Great work, Jason ! Especially, photo #2. Classic photo of a German combat team and the outstanding image of the professional German combat officer. Luger, stick grenades, binoculars, Jr or Sr Lieutenant, perhaps Captain, ( I do not see any pips). Great photo that also appeared on the cover of Ballentines book, Stalingrad - The Turning Point. That picture clearly shows why German Militaria is so valuable. The soldiers who wore it.

Comment

Jason,
                your then and now photos just took my breath away ....awesome!!! especially the tanks and the soldiers standing outside the buildings.

got to buy your stalingrad book soon

Russ, thanks for the interesting maps of surviving buidings, must visit those places some day.

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

Here's another one:

- - -
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNZ View Post
                    Most of Stalingrad was destroyed wasn't it? wouldn't be too many original buildings remaining ?
                    Indeed, most of the city was destroyed and modern day Volgograd bears little resemblance to Stalingrad in 1942. The vast scale of destruction, however, meant that many new buildings were erected on the foundations/cellars of old ones. Also, ruined buildings were "recycled" by removing all crumbling brickwork and then simply laying new bricks. This old/new composition is quite apparent if stucco has not been applied (I've attached a sample of this below... the older bricks are dark, newer bricks are much lighter).

Nevertheless, a few old-timers still exist and allow for good "now" comparisons.

Jason

- - -
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
                      Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

Here's another one:

- - -
                      Another great comparison Jason , where is the rail bridge location ?

Comment

Jason, very nice! Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Paul E View Post
                          Another great comparison Jason , where is the rail bridge location ?
                          Hi Paul,

The railway underpass is about 400-500 metres south of the main railway station.

Jason

Originally posted by PzV View Post
                          Jason, very nice! Jim
                          Thanks Jim!

Comment

Those are great before and after,,, I really like seeing those kind of pictures.. thanks for posting..
                            Van

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
                              Hi Paul,

The railway underpass is about 400-500 metres south of the main railway station.

Jason
                              Got it now Jason that is a super comparison

Comment

I will add one more image. The forgotten airfield in the Don steppe. August - September 1942. Vicinities of Stalingrad.
                                Then & now

img upload

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X