Dirlewanger soldier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirlewanger soldier?

a friend of mine picked this up with a bunch of other photos and was suprised to see the unusual collar tab. Can this be Dirlewanger with the crossed rifles and grenade?
    Attached Files

the photo is the size of a Soldbuch photo
    Attached Files

Comment

back of photo dated March 1945
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PzV View Post
        a friend of mine picked this up with a bunch of other photos and was suprised to see the unusual collar tab. Can this be Dirlewanger with the crossed rifles and grenade?
        This is 100% Dirlewanger collar patch. You friend has a VERY rare photo!!!

Comment

Ultra rare picture and very valuable.

Comment

WOW!!

Thank you for sharing, you made my weekend!!!

Comment

thanks guys, we thought the same and I will let him know!

Comment

Very nice.

Just thinking about him.

I wonder if he was busted down and transferred to this unit as a punishment.

Not young, pride enough to have a picture taken and a couple of awards but only an SS mann. In a normal unit he would have some rank behind him.

Guessing only.

Regards,
                Chris.

Comment

and with the ostmedaille ribbon, he's been around for a few years.
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
                    Very nice.

Just thinking about him.

Not young, pride enough to have a picture taken and a couple of awards but only an SS mann. In a normal unit he would have some rank behind him.

Guessing only.

Regards,
                    Chris.
                    I wondered about that too. The photograph was taken near the end of the war; I wonder if he was a new arrival to the 36th or had been around longer. Maybe he was at Warsaw?

Comment

we actually wondered the same thing because of his age and decorations. He may have been degraded but that is something we will never know.

Comment

This certainly is a very rare picture.
                        I went "for the fun of it" through the Dirlewanger Vermisstenbildliste.
                        Of the +/- 700 listed missing, there is just ONE with the Dirlewanger collar!
                        Peter

Comment

Awesome!

That would be my guess also.
                          Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how WWI got started.

Comment

Great find! I have never seen a Dirlewanger portrait and have only rarely stumbled across a Dirlewanger photo on the net.

Comment

VERY nice photo!

Anybody notice the date?

March of '45!

Good find PzV!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X