BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitler Cartoonish Foreign Propaganda Postcard: Portugal or Brazil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitler Cartoonish Foreign Propaganda Postcard: Portugal or Brazil?

Hi all,
    Please take a look at this postcard. Any and all/comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated with regards to translation and/or significance.
    Sorry but I don't have a flatbed scanner so there's some picture distortion.
    The back is plain but is handstamped "Yale University Jan 9 1947 Library"
    Thanks in advance.
    ......John
    Attached Files

Either Portugese or Brazilian: I'll add those to the thread title.

Comment

Thanks Rick!
      Can anyone read Portugese or Brazilian?
      .. Johh

Comment

Some things haven't changed from Hitler to Hussein...

My Portugese is not great but what I get is the red title between the top Hitler and the parade of Commonwealth troops is:

"What a shock for Hitler!" as the main title of the print.

Smug top Hitler, quoting German radio 30 September 1939 is something like "It appears that the different parts of the British Empire will be placing their own independence above their loyalty to England."

(no Babelfisch, folks, only a hooman brain)...

under the troops in red along the lines of "...the enormous war effort of the Empire and British Commonwealth, on land, sea, and air constitutes an epic of unified resistance to Nazi aggression."

Moping Hitler below: "Germany recognizes completely the energy and power of resistance of Great Britain and the loyalty of the Empire to the Mother Country," bylined the?/a? "German Article" (which may either refer to a magazine article or perhaps to a German newspaper in either Portugal or Brazil-- whatever the intended "market" for this was) 13 December 1940.

Kind of a dull "nyah nyah" slogan wise! That hasn't changed much then to now, either!

Also interesting... given the 1947 date is the faded stamp under top Hitler:

"SPECIAL BRITISH WAR
        LITERATURE SUPPLIED FOR
        RECORD PURPOSES ONLY."

Wouldn't want anyone thinking Yale was "taking sides" would they?* Not in World War Two!!! And THAT hasn't changed much on campuses these days, either!

* Yale graduates provided a lone Hungarian army member, 3 members of the German army or Waffen-SS, and an Imperial Japanese army and navy member. I guess that "balanced" their 18,678 in Allied military service, being "fair."

Comment

Hi again Rick,
          Thanka a million for your help on this! Odd that Yale would have the reverse of the card stamped. I should have included a pic of that. Apparently part of their archive? I greatly appreciate your lengthy comments.
          Regards,
          .... John

Comment

The poster is brazilian. Brazilian portuguese is slightly diferent from portuguese of Portugal. It's however clear that this poster is brazilian.

Comment

One of my favorite translation sites:

http://www.systransoft.com/index.html

Comment

Thank you! How did I do on the translation? (These FRENCH people here on the Forums don't like my Canadian-French! )

"Translation site?" My brain works even in the dark, no batteries required!

Comment

My thanks to all for their comments!
                  ... John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X