Wehrmacht Special Orders of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wehrmacht Special Orders of the Day

I didn't attend the SOS but was still able to add a few nice things to my collection. In addition to a pair of rare M44 Low Shoes I also got these two Special Orders of the Day. To be quite honest I don't know that much about them and the only ones I've see were in Wade Krawczyks book on Army Panzer Uniforms. He states that from time to time the OKH issued special ordes of the day praising the actions of a particular unit:this was a morale raising exercise.Commerative orders were also issued on special occasions such as the departure of the units commanding officer. The two illustrated in his book fall into the later category. The two have have the former.

Before I finish does anyone know what the distribution of such an order would be. Army wide? Or maybe the cited unit and its immediate Hqs. Just trying to get a feel for rarity and collectibility.Guess it doesn't matter I like them.

Heres the first one:

Extract of the Wehrmacht summary from the FHQ and OKH 3 April 1944. Generals Tippelsstirch and Martinet are cited for their leadership in stopping the advance of 17 Soviet Divisions, 1 motorized Bde and 2 heavy tank Bdes. and inflicting heavy losses on them.

The 18th Panzergrenadier Division under the command of MajorGeneral Zutavern particularily distinguished themselves.

I doubt I translate this all correctly but I think I captured the spirit of the citation.
    Attached Files

Heres the second citation-

This one appears to summarise the actions along the whole Russian front and 3 units/commanders are specifically cited:

Rittmeister Kolczek commanding a Pz Recon Abt.
    LTG Drescher commanding 267 ID
    Captain Rettemeier commanding Pz Abt 5
    Attached Files

Comment

Sir,

Very nice paper items. I have never seen anything like them and I find them very interesting. What size are they?
      Regards,
      Dick

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Pumphrey
        Sir,

Very nice paper items. I have never seen anything like them and I find them very interesting. What size are they?
        Regards,
        Dick
        Hi Dick,

They're 8 1/2 by 11 1/2 inches. Another nice thing is the excellent quality of the paper almost like parchment.

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply and the size information. Those are really beautiful documents. If you ever decide to dispose of one please let me know. Take care.
          Best Regards,
          Dick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X