Feldwebel Johann Port - Knight's Cross at Sevastopol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feldwebel Johann Port - Knight's Cross at Sevastopol

I was wondering if any members could help me locate a press release or newspaper article for the award the Knight's Cross at Sevastopol for Feldwebel Johann Port. The time-frame would be late August or early September 1942.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files

The closest I have is the info detailed on the reverse of the press release photo. I am hoping to find a more in depth description of this action.

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files

Comment

KC Prelim
      Attached Files

Comment

Can anyone assist here?

Thanks,
        John

Comment

Bumping this one up...Anyone live near Bernkastel-Kues (his hometown) that might be able to assist with a local archives?

Many Thanks,
          John

Comment

Johann Port

John,
            I have this article on him out of a book written in 1968 called "Ritterkreuztrager". If this does not read too well, pm me and I will email you a larger version.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Monty,

Thank you very much for sharing.

It's a good start, but hopefully I will be able to find something a little more definitive. What is written here is very superficial, only skimming the details of the encounter.

Thank again - more contributions welcome...

John D.

Comment

Hi!

I hope this help

http://www.google.hu/imgres?imgurl=h...26tbs%3Disch:1

Sorry for too long link

O.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I had not seen that photo yet!

Any information is welcome. I am now wondering more about one of sources that is referenced - the Beyerlein collection?

I appreciate all the help so far.

Thanks,
                  John D.

Comment

Here is the parade, which was followed by a ceremony, in Port's hometown of Bernkastel-Kues to celebrate his receipt of the KC. It looks like the entire town turned out!

I would venture a guess that this event was covered in article in a local paper at the time? I don't know even the know the date of this celebration yet.

Thanks in advance,
                    John
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thats a great photo,it really brings home how important the awarding of the rk was to the German people.I am in a similar situation to you - i have an attributed rk and preliminary doc.and would like to find out the details about the actions for which it was awarded,have you John or anyone found out who keeps such records.
                      Thanks Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nick-j View Post
                        Thats a great photo,it really brings home how important the awarding of the rk was to the German people.I am in a similar situation to you - i have an attributed rk and preliminary doc.and would like to find out the details about the actions for which it was awarded,have you John or anyone found out who keeps such records.
                        Thanks Nick
                        Hi Nick,

Glad you liked the photo...there is actually a series of several from the celebration. You are indeed correct, these 'Holders' were held in very high regard.

Perhaps you could start a thread about your group. I would love to see your KC prelim.

I believe most of this documentation was kept in the Bundesarchiv (BA) in Koblenz, but is now in Berlin? I've actually got a call in through a friend trying to track down info on Port.

Best,
                        John

Comment

Thought I would bring this one up again...I'm still looking for info on the actions that resulted in Port's receipt of the KC.

Thanks,
                          John

Comment

hi John i did start a thread with my cross and prelim but same as you it seems ,havent managed to find any more info.what have you tried? In both cases i wonder if there is library or something similar that keeps papers from that time? if they werent destroyed!!--Nick

Comment

Hi Nick,

Sorry for the delay...I had forgotten that I had posted again in this thread.

The Bundesarchiv is your best bet for information, if they have something. Perhaps the library in the local town of the soldier may have newspapers from the war. This is what I am hoping for in my case, as it is clear that Port's return to Bernkastel-Kues was a major event at the time.

Best,
                              John D.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X