• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat KIA Pic

Interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Photo-KIA-G...item2eac1f7803

Neat?

A rather odd way to describe a photograph of a man's death. A bit insensitive.

Ramon

Comment

Originally posted by ramon View Post
      Neat?

A rather odd way to describe a photograph of a man's death. A bit insensitive.

Ramon
      I agree, furthermore you maybe could add "graphic/warning" in the title...

Comment

I wouldn't have called it 'neat' but it was definitely a more noteworthy KIA picture than most other KIA pictures.

Comment

Unfortunate choice of words, for sure. An interesting thing for helmet collectors is that the picture shows either a beaded helmet or one with a elastic band for foliage attachment.
          Last edited by WalterB; 04-04-2010, 07:14 PM.
          When you go home
          Tell them for us and say
          For your tomorrow
          We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
          Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Definetly strange, I wonder what the motivation for taking this picture was.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
              Definetly strange, I wonder what the motivation for taking this picture was.

is it me or does it look like someone did up his tunic to cover his wounds?

Comment

Very sorry about that guys, just got back and re-read my post. Did not mean to infer "neat" in the ghoulish sense that the word does indeed imply, but that does not excuse my very poor choice of wording.

Comment

Kia

Hey Will, don't feel bad using that word "neat" as I did the same thing about a year ago describing a KIA purple heart grouping I had just picked up from the family and these guys took my head off. I was just so psyched to get the grouping that my choice of words were not exactly the ones I should have used. I learned a lesson and will not make that mistake again!! Alex

Comment

Strange that there is no breast eagle on the tunic. Jacques

Comment

There was an eagle though - if you zoom in on the picture you can see where the seller blurred it out, probably so ebay wouldn't delete it.

Comment

Looks like an edelweiss patch on his right arm, no apparent injuries showing.
                        It's just possible he didn't die from combat injuries. Stroke, heart attack is a possibility.

Larry

Comment

Don't understand people that want to have such photos in their collection...

Comment

Originally posted by Larrister View Post
                            Looks like an edelweiss patch on his right arm, no apparent injuries showing.
                            It's just possible he didn't die from combat injuries. Stroke, heart attack is a possibility.

Larry
                            Hello Larry.

There are many wounds that can result in death that are not obvious imediately, be it a tiny piece of shrapnel entering the back and into the heart to the blast from high explosives that cause huge internal damage.

From this photo it could even be leg or back of the head injuries.

I think photos of death are an important aspect of collecting even if not shown off. It is the often forgotten reality.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
                              Hello Larry.

There are many wounds that can result in death that are not obvious imediately, be it a tiny piece of shrapnel entering the back and into the heart to the blast from high explosives that cause huge internal damage.

From this photo it could even be leg or back of the head injuries.

I think photos of death are an important aspect of collecting even if not shown off. It is the often forgotten reality.

Chris.
                              Hi Chris,

I am well aware of the many types and ways that injuries can be fatal.
                              Without seeing the whole body one can only make a guess at how the soldier died.
                              I have seen many closeup photos of KIA soldiers, most taken by allied soldiers.
                              It's strange to me that a German soldier would take such a personal photo of a fallen comrade.
                              There are boots in the photo, are they German?

Larry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X