MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is this SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer Surrendering to the Americans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is this SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer Surrendering to the Americans?

This is a still from a color film taken in Czechoslovakia. Allegedly it was taken near Pilsen, and supposedly involves elements of the Das Reich surrendering to US troops. No cuff on his sleeve. If I recall right, he is also seen cheering his troops as they roll past him into captivity. Anyone know who he is/with what unit he served?
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
    This is a still from a color film taken in Czechoslovakia. Allegedly it was taken near Pilsen, and supposedly involves elements of the Das Reich surrendering to US troops. No cuff on his sleeve. If I recall right, he is also seen cheering his troops as they roll past him into captivity. Anyone know who he is/with what unit he served?
    Hi ,
    may I ask what color film is it from ? I live about 10 miles from the place where Das Reich surrendered .The town where this happened is called Rokycany- its 20 minutes by car from my house. BTW SS general K.H Frank was captured here as well..Got some shots of this event somewhere..
    Thanks
    Petr

Comment

This is from the Lost German Girl Film I believe...

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm View Post
        This is from the Lost German Girl Film I believe...
        Thanks

Comment

Very nice color film ,have a look :http://resources.ushmm.org/film/disp...&file_num=4686

Petr

Comment

color film

http://resources.ushmm.org/film/disp...&file_num=3306

This is the color film with the sturmbannfuhrer in it Karl Frank is also possibly in it.Also a lot of insignia and camo to look at.Mostly filmed at Rokycany,you will recognise some of the houses.
            Last edited by Nick4; 04-30-2010, 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

GREAT footage! You can even spot some ROA troops at 8:35! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

i'm a little surprised nobody has identified this officer in all these years. He's definitely one of the highlights of the film, is decorated enough to be noticed, and wears the old fighter chevron. Some more information on the film can be found here.

Sorry to bump this old post back to the top, but I'm curious about this man's identity as well. I didn't see the need to start a new post about it!

Comment

This is SS-Obersturmbannführer Michael Kneissl, Kdr. of SS Wach Bataillon Prag.

Comment

Originally posted by HouweTrouwe View Post
                    This is SS-Obersturmbannführer Michael Kneissl, Kdr. of SS Wach Bataillon Prag.

Correct...

From what I had read he was executed in 1947.... Can anyone verify that...?

Comment

Originally posted by Max Wünsche View Post
                      Correct...

From what I had read he was executed in 1947.... Can anyone verify that...?

Yes, executed in Brno on 29/3/1947 as a result of court judgement c.j. LSP 227/47 from the same date...

His ranks, for those interested...

Allgemeine-SS:
                      20.10.1931 SS-Anwärter
                      8.2.1932 SS-Mann
                      8.2.1932 SS-Scharführer
                      12.2.1932 SS-Truppführer
                      1.12.1932 SS-Sturmführer(SS-Untersturmführer)
                      31.7.1933 SS-Obersturmführer
                      8.1.1934 SS-Sturmhauptführer(SS-Hauptsturmführer) effective from 24.12.1933
                      1.6.1936 SS-Sturmbannführer
                      Waffen-SS:
                      1.8.1940 SS-Hauptsturmführer
                      1.9.1942 SS-Sturmbannführer
                      3.11.1943 SS-Obersturmbannführer effective from 9.11.1943

Comment

The Czechs killed thousands of Germans after the war, and displaced millions more, whilst looting all their possessions and real estate. Of course Czechs aren't taught about this in their school system, only about the 'heroic partisans' who 'liberated' Prague in 1945.

Comment

Just outstanding. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. With his name, it's much easier to find more information on the Pilsen surrender.

I'm having a tough time believing his honor-ring was found in the dirt of a POW camp just where he was likely last photographed. I would have imagined he wore it until it was taken from him.

Comment

Footage

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                            I was recently watching this fantastic footage myself. So many details to take in. I have a collection of color slides taken by a photographer with the US 166th Signal Photo Company of the surrender of the 11th Panzer Division and General Wend von Wietersheim along the border of Germany and Czechoslovakia. Some of those have been posted and discussed on the US militaria forum for anyone who is interested.
                            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
                              The Czechs killed thousands of Germans after the war, and displaced millions more, whilst looting all their possessions and real estate. Of course Czechs aren't taught about this in their school system, only about the 'heroic partisans' who 'liberated' Prague in 1945.
                              sadly its true, but if Germans stay at home in Reich no one would be killed in Czechoslovakia .......

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X